Provides project management and leadership skills to global, cross-functional, cross-divisional teams in the successful delivery of early to late-phase complex, (i.e. multi-regions/indications and/or alliance partners) major development or life cycle management activities (including established/marketed products) to meet Takeda s strategic objectives.
- Responsibilities include strategic direction and translating the cross-divisional, integrated GPT product/program strategy into an efficiently executable plan; predicting and planning solutions to achieve successful operational execution; driving the team to achieve clarity on issues and focus on effective contingencies; interfacing with management and influencing decision-making, monitoring slippage and developing strategies to get back on plan and navigating through the internal governance for projects.
- The Director works closely together with the Global Program Leader (GPL), as well as other CMSO and Commercial functions, to ensure that the scientific and commercial strategy is integrated into an operational plan.
- This role may also lead key initiatives that have cross-functional or cross-divisional impact and that are critical to the objectives of the TAU, CMSO and/or global business objectives.
- This role may have direct people management responsibilities.
Identifies and drives innovative process improvements with significant organizational impact and takes on, as needed, non-project responsibilities, which can include project management processes and systems.
- Lead the project planning efforts of the Global Product Team (GPT), joint Project Teams in the case of Alliance projects, or other cross-functional teams in defining and implementing the product strategy and operational plan by managing the creation of the asset strategy framework as well as the operational plan and formulating the project scope, plan, execution strategies & critical paths with the team.
- Responsible for coordinating governance approvals for the key project deliverables.
- Proactively identify and drive project and resource priorities that align with the business objectives.
- May support Business Development in-licensing activities, responsible for leading the project planning efforts of a cross-functional global team within CMSO to provide a thorough technical assessment, including development costs and timelines, to support the business case of potential in-licensed compounds
- Addresses and resolves project challenges, keeping leadership informed of critical considerations (e.g., resources, performance concerns). Provides clarity and direction in urgent or unexpected situations.
- Establishes, communicates and executes plans resulting in achievement of project goals.
- Drives and manages the creation of project strategies and prepare presentations to management. Drives and manages the creation of project strategies and presents these strategies to key stakeholders and decision-makers
- Provides clear and targeted messaging to teams, translating corporate priorities into clear and meaningful team goals.
- Provides direction and obtains buy-in of all team members to integrated asset strategy.
- Identifies ways to accelerate the project execution where possible while maintaining high quality standards.
- Continuously and efficiently manage stakeholders at various levels and across functions.
- As a member of GPT leadership, the GPM will attend and facilitate GPT meetings. With input from the Global Project Leader, ensure agendas are appropriate to enable key discussions and decisions within the team.
- Partners with the Global Program Leader (GPL) to lead and manage the global, cross-functional, cross-divisional GPT through the project plan execution and hold to the highest standards for operational excellence in drug development and life cycle management.
- Drives team deliverables for project completion for assigned products in all phases of development, pre and post launch.
- Proactively identify potential issues or obstacles and achieves resolution or plans contingencies and follow issues through to resolution ensuring that all GPT issues arrive at a singular conclusion or recommendation.
- Partners with the GPL to provide financial oversight for global, cross-divisional budgets in early to late-phase drug development and/or life cycle management projects (including on-market/established products). Includes consolidation, vetting and prioritization of GPT spending risks and opportunities.
- Leads the GPT project risk management process in the team and generates the cross-functional, cross-divisional project risk register for assigned products. Independently resolves complex issues and competing priorities that may impact achievement of goals, and creates mitigation plans and drives to resolution.
- Works closely with the Global Program Leader for a product to balance operational execution with R&D and commercial strategy.
- Manages project status reporting including scheduled as well as ad-hoc updates.
- Participate in the annual portfolio analysis process to ensure accurate information and timelines are completed to support project recommendations to Senior Management.
- Provides direction and mentors junior colleagues in working strategically and driving for results; helps them break down problems into manageable pieces; looks for opportunities for junior PMs to demonstrate their abilities to larger audiences; uses effective coaching techniques to refocus energy and address frustrations; leads by example (e.g. maintains composure under pressure)
- May have responsibility for line management of Associate Director and/or Senior Manager level GPMs as well as contractors within the GPM function
- Orchestrates the involvement of appropriate cross-regional, cross-functional, cross-divisional and Alliance partner individuals in relevant communications, decisions and working groups.
- Generates collaboration, cooperation and communication globally across divisions and functions and between regional representatives in the team as well as with applicable Alliance partners (by leveraging the experience and knowledge of a diverse workforce crossing R&D, Commercial etc) ensuring that team goals are achieved.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor s Degree science or business-related field
- Advanced degree in science or business is preferred
- Detailed and in-depth knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and experience in Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, Marketing or other drug development related function
- Substantial experience leading complex pharmaceutical project deliverables in a multi-disciplinary, global environment
- Modest people management experience
- Proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team.
- Proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team.
- Substantial experience in intercultural cooperation
- Proven leadership skills managing matrix teams, influencing outcomes and key project decisions, and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and present key information objectively and collaborate effectively with management
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate/ prepare presentations for management
Knowledge and Skills
- Project leadership and management skills are required
- Thorough knowledge of Therapeutic Area (clinical, regulatory guidance and study conduct) preferable
- Strong Influencing Skills
- Proactive ability to predict issues and solve problems by independent resolution
- Ability to articulate and establish processes that have impact cross-functionally, cross-divisionally and cross-geographically
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
- Flexibility, tolerance and diplomacy to best manage change and differing opinions
- Ability to work in a virtual setting/across time-zones, i.e., making effective use of communication tools (WebEx, TelePresence, telephone and video conferencing, etc.)
- Ability to inspire and motivate an interfacing and cross-geographical team
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective communications skills written and verbal
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills
- A solid business background as well as excellent commercial understanding are essential
- Effective negotiation and positive influencing abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
- Highly effective presentation skills create and deliver presentations with appropriate messaging and focused recommendations
- Microsoft Project Professional, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Fluent in English
- Project Management Professional certification with PMI desired
- May work on the computer for several hours at a time
we are driven to improve people's lives
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans. For more information, visithttp://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.