This position is responsible for System administration of the automation systems and executing automation projects related to implementation of a process control system. You will execute system administration tasks for all automation systems. System administration requires an in-depth knowledge of implementation of IT infrastructure, including networking, domain management, storage maintenance, database maintenance and virtualization, for automation systems in a pharmaceutical environment. You will carry out scope definition /clarification exercises to properly and completely characterize automation requirements and be responsible for project-related functions including design, specifications, budgeting, scheduling, resource management, construction management, commissioning and start up. Project scope also requires general working GMP knowledge of pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities and all major utilities.
Candidate will be expected to displays standard engineering principles to resolve difficult problems, from conception to final design with team input, and plan, schedule and lead project assignments in the evaluation, selection and adaptation of various engineering techniques, procedures and criteria with minimal guidance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer the site manufacturing automation systems such as DeltaV system, Building Automation System, etc. Administration includes, but is not limited to, domain management for user security, setting up group policies, and setting and verifying backup and restore of manufacturing data/databases,
- Maintain the site manufacturing automation systems such as DeltaV system, Building Automation System, etc. Maintenance includes, but is not limited to, monitoring performance of the automation networks, servers, clients, etc, maintaining up to date patching for automation systems per OEM recommendations, and ensuring all anti virus and other security features are updated per OEM recommendations.
- Manage databases of all the automation systems
- Assess, support and proactively improve the current automation systems' hardware, software and configuration.
- Complete risk assessments for changes and improvements to all automations systems' hardware and associated configuration; analyze, code and formally test the proposed changes to applicable simulation systems; implement changes on Production system. Troubleshoot, diagnose and assist in repair of Automations Systems' infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, mitigate and improve the Building Automation System (BAS).
- Support PLC/HMI based control systems for various stand-alone equipment.
- Review, continuously update and standardize across the site current technical documentation and drawings for all manufacturing automation systems. Documentation and drawings include, but are not limited to: User Requirement Specifications, Functional Specifications, Design Specifications, network diagrams, architecture drawings, settings for infrastructure components, panel layouts; BOMs, and Spare Parts lists.
- Update Standard Operation and Preventive Maintenance Procedures for the existing manufacturing automation systems.
- Revise and execute SOPs for the application installation, backup and restore of automation systems.
- With minimal guidance, as the automation Engineering SME, lead automation work for multiple small functional projects and/or a large capital/functional project. Engineer and manage reliability improvements, optimization, upgrades as well as implementation from concept to commissioning and validation, for manufacturing automation systems.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Train other automation engineers, Instrumentation and Metrology technicians on automation functionality, instrumentation configuration, troubleshooting and diagnostic methods and techniques. May supervise/coordinate technicians on assigned work. Train Quality Operation, Compliance and Manufacturing personnel on DeltaV and EBM functionality.
- Train other departments personnel on functionality of automation systems.
- Develop and formally execute Installation, Operation and Performance Commissioning protocols for modified or new automation systems. Assist in preparation and execution of the Qualification protocols.
- Partner with other engineering and site personnel to assure continuous improvements in production operations and increase throughput.
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Project, Visio, Windows XP/7.
- Display a solid understanding of theories/practices utilized by other disciplines outside of primary area of expertise.
- Must be able to provide solutions that reflect understanding business objectives and cost implications.
- Ability to convince management on courses of action with minimal assistance using both written and verbal methods.
- Effectively operate in cross-functional teams, coordinate contractors, and direct activities of technicians without guidance.
- Successful track record of managing wide-ranging activities within the business unit.
- Excellent communication, organizational and technical writing skills; willing to work in a team environment. Self-motivated, ready to work with minimum supervision; responsible, reliable.
Education and/or experience
- BS in Electrical, Computer Science, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering is required or certifications in Microsoft (Operating systems, Server Management) and Cisco (Networking).
- 3-5 years experience in, administration of IT networks, operating systems (Windows 7/10, Windows Server 2008/2012), domain management, server management, storage management and database management,
- 1-2 years experience in virtualization; knowledge of how to build virtual infrastructure with hosts and external storage, virtual networking and vCenter, vSphere
- Hands on experience with thin client technology.
- 1-2 years of Engineering experience in manufacturing environment, preferably in pharmaceutical or food processing facilities, specifically Plasma fractionation, design, installation and commissioning of projects.
- Hands-on experience with automation networks and Ethernet industrial networks.
- Familiarity with Distributed Control System configuration and operation, especially Emerson Delta V and Siemens BAS, is a plus.
- Working knowledge of PFD, P&ID and loop diagram standards; temperature, pressure, flow, weight, humidity, conductivity, pH measurement and instrumentation.
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical industry standards for batch control systems, software development life cycle methodologies, 21 CFR Part 11, and GAMP.
- Familiar with PLC/HMI integration.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 10 lbs.
- In general, the position requires a combination of sedentary work and walking around observing conditions in the facility.
- Must be able to work in controlled environments requiring special gowning. Will be required to follow gowning requirements and wear protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body.
- No make-up, jewelry, contact lenses, nail polish or artificial fingernails may be worn in the manufacturing environment.
- Will work in a cold, wet environment
- Must be able to work multiple shifts, including weekends.
- Must be able to work overtime as required. (only for non-exempt positions)
- May be required to work in a confined area.
- Some Clean Room and cool/hot storage conditions.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.