Title: Director Publications
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Director Publications in our Lexington, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
As a Director Publications working on the USMO Medical team, you will be empowered to develop and execute integrated strategic and tactical publication plan(s) for assigned pipeline and in-line product(s). In this role, you will contribute to Takeda s mission by supporting the development of assigned medical and scientific communication strategy and plans (including scientific communication platforms) in collaboration with respective Medical and Scientific Directors. A typical day will include:
- Requires understanding of the ethical considerations around industry sponsored publications, in order to apply these best practices and policies to USMO activities and guide the operations and optimization of the external publication vendor model.
- Responsible for overseeing and ensuring the development of integrated publication strategies for assigned products in partnership with respective Medical Team(s) and in alignment with respective US Business Unit (USBU) commercial brand(s) strategies. Ensure appropriate alignment where necessary with Global Brand Medical and Commercial Strategies and Plans and/or Alliance/Partner(s) and insuring publication best practices.
- Responsible for managing and leading direct reports in all assigned responsibilities to ensure successful management of strategic publication plans, external partner/vendors, operations and budgeting.
- Serve as a key member of identified USMO Product Medical Units
- Engage with key internal stakeholders, which includes USMO Product Medical Team(s), including Medical/Scientific/Clinical Directors, and other functional medical partners such as Outcomes Research, Field Medical, Scientific Communications (Medical Review, Medical Education), Medical Operations (Program Management Office); other USBU Stakeholders; and Global functional groups such as Medical, Publications, Medical Information, Regulatory, Statistics, and Legal.
- Provide support to respective Product Unit Medical Teams and others in liaising with key internal and external stakeholders such as therapeutic area thought leaders, investigators, authors, partners, and affiliates on scientific communication and publication activities related to all assigned programs (pipeline and in-line products). Responsible for ensuring documents and/or business systems utilize good publication practices.
- Responsible for the management and implementation of the delivery of assigned USMO publication strategies and tactical plans to support overall shared medical and business objectives and contribute to the overall respective product medical communication plan(s).
- Responsible for ensuring the development of publication strategies for multiple compounds are in alignment with shared medical and commercial brand strategies (including alignment with Global Medical).
- Leads, manages, coaches, and oversees the allocation of direct reports in the strategic implementation and tactical execution of plan(s). Creates an environment and atmosphere of learning and provides training opportunities for direct reports.
- Ensures the team is successfully tracking the execution of plans and budgets, communicating information on insights, impact, metrics, and outputs, and informs key stakeholders of issues and opportunities. Provides support for other USMO Publication and Medical Communications activities in support of Product Medical Teams (i.e. development and maintenance of Scientific Communication Platform)
- Determines appropriate resource level for assigned USMO publication programs with the external publication vendor model. Ensures that the assigned USMO Publications Team is providing the appropriate oversight, management, and setting clear expectations with external vendors. When necessary, leads vendor selection/contracting activities in collaboration with Procurement/Legal/Contracting and VP, Scientific Communications that ensure operational efficiency and excellence within the USMO.
- Insures that defined processes for development of USMO-sponsored publications are implemented to ensure compliance, good publication practices, enhanced functional productivity and efficiency, and establish business relationships to increase the value of the department work product while keeping VP, Scientific Communications informed about the business.
- Leads and/or delegates the conduct of respective USMO Publication team(s) meetings. Serves as a member of the USMO Scientific Communication Leadership Team. Actively participates in assigned Product Medical Unit Team(s) Meetings and other related meetings (i.e., USMO related; USBU related, Global); and has a good understanding of the therapeutic areas and compounds under his/her responsibility. Reviews manuscripts, abstracts, and poster/slide content for accuracy and scientific rigor as requested and/or identified.
- Attends conferences, symposia or other meetings as necessary or as assigned and act as a liaison between USMO Scientific Communications, USMO and Global Medical Affairs, Global Publications, and external stakeholders.
- Oversee the implementation and adherence to relevant Takeda policies, SOPs, and compliance guidelines. Maintain critical understanding of publication best practices, ethical considerations, and industry guidelines
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PharmD, PhD or MD degree
- 6+ years post-doctorate healthcare or related experience
- 5 + years Medical Affairs experience, including Publications or related industry experience
- 4+ years budgetary and direct/indirect people management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of pertinent external guidelines related to industry publications, and current standards of good publication practice
- Ability to work across diverse therapeutic areas
- Effectively work with and lead cross-functional teams
- Experience with resource allocation and vendor management
- Project management skills
- Pharmaceutical, biomedical, or scientific writing experience
- Experience managing publication strategies, plans, workflow and tools and/or team
- Expertise in Medical Affairs, pharmaceutical clinical development and product life-cycle management
- Post-doctoral residency or fellowship
- Cross-functional leadership experience within the Pharmaceutical or related industry
- Ability to travel to various professional meetings, conferences and Takeda sites limited overnight (10-30%). Some international travel may be required
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.