The Senior Director, Medical Communications is a high-visibility senior leader of a team of experienced Medical Communication Leads (MCLs) who serves as a strategic partner to the VP, Head of Medical Communications within the Global Medical Affairs Oncology (GMAO) organization.
This role requires strong leadership and vision with specific focus on cultivating both innovation and professional development of a high-performing team of MCLs who support the oncology portfolio of globally marketed and pipeline products. The individual in this role is responsible for setting strategic direction for the MCL team to meet today s business needs while also building skills for the future. This role will deliver an aligned overarching product agnostic medical communications strategic approach for the team while maintaining focus and awareness of the interdependencies between global, US, regions and local countries. This individual is accountable to ensure a harmonized medical communications approach across all products and geographies, as appropriate. This individual is also responsible for ensuring the budget is allocated to compliant, high-impact medical communications programs.
In addition, with attention to industry trends and modern medical affairs, this individual will drive innovative approaches for medical communications to ensure scientific platforms and content are consistent and accessible globally across stakeholders to maximize optimal knowledge management, and to remain relevant and competitive with digital advancements.
This individual will also clearly define and implement a successful operating model that supports collaboration within the MCL team, between the MCL team and the medical communications centres of excellence (ie, publications, medical information, training, congresses, outreach and medical education), between the MCLs and the wider GMAO team, along with collaboration across regions and local countries. This role will have Global, US and region EUCAN responsibilities and team members, along with accountability for delivering efficiencies in how these teams operate and interact with one another.
- Lead an experienced, high-performing team of MCLs. Develop and implement best-in-industry medical communications processes and deliverables. Support the team in the development and implementation of product-specific strategic medical plans, with accountability for the medical communication plans and budgets within and above product
- Develop and empower the MCLs who are responsible for development and execution of medical communications activities that are aligned with the medical strategy and with emphasis on driving one scientific voice for each product
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of all MCL activities to ensure innovative approaches are implemented, as appropriate, and to ensure content is accessible and consistent across products and teams through effective knowledge management
- Champion new approaches for modern and digital medical communications by actively maintaining awareness of industry trends to ensure the team remains relevant and competitive
- Define and implement a successful operating model that supports collaboration within the MCL team, between the MCL team and the medical communications centers of excellence (ie, publications, medical information, training, congresses, outreach and medical education), between the MCLs and the wider GMAO team, along with supporting effective collaboration with stakeholders across the Oncology Business Unit (OBU)
- Form effective partnerships with leaders across the OBU to enable effective and strategic collaborations, and to collect regular feedback to ensure the team continues to meet the needs of the business with flexibility as/when needed
- Lead, manage, coach and support team members across multiple geographies to deliver high-quality deliverables and engagements, along with career satisfaction
- Maximize use of and access to medical communications knowledge, content, and intellectual capital through awareness, sharing of innovative content and best practices
- Develop, track and report both quantitative and qualitative metrics to track individual and team performance to ensure alignment with key stakeholders and elevate the value of medical affairs
- Chair regular MCL team meetings to ensure delivery of consistent medical communications across all internal and external channels, to monitor, track and report on progress against plan, and to enable budget and prioritization decisions
- Lead high-impact, high-visibility non-product specific strategic initiatives at the request of the VP, Head of Medical Communications
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Education and Experience:
- PharmD, PhD or MD degree
- 10 + years post-doctorate healthcare or related experience
- 8 + years Medical Affairs experience or related industry experience
- 5 + years budgetary and direct/indirect people management experience
- Demonstrated organizational leadership and people management expertise
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated results in managing medical communications teams and functions including, but not limited to, publications, medical information, medical review, training, congresses, outreach and medical education
- Direct experience with pharmaceutical clinical development and product life-cycle management
- Cross-functional leadership experience within the Pharmaceutical or related industry
Global Core Competencies
- Creativity and innovation: This is a leadership position in GMAO, so proven ability to think outside the box and challenge status quo is mandatory
- Strategic Approach: Ability to identify opportunities and anticipate changes in the business landscape through an understanding and ongoing assessment of the environment
- Engage Others: Ability to create a clear and unifying vision inspiring teams to excel
- Develop Capabilities: Ability to train, manage, motivate and develop a matrix team of advanced degree professionals and other personnel
- Collaboration: Ability to cultivate a broad network of relationships throughout the organization
- Lead Change: Ability to adjust functional or cross-functional plans and priorities in response to changes in strategic direction
- Drive for Results: Create functional strategies and goals that are closely aligned with company objectives and develop metrics to track and assess performance
- Pharmaceutical Industry Acumen: Strong understanding of regulatory and compliance environment
- Ability to drive to or fly to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Requires approximately 20-30% travel globally
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at www.takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.