Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Scientist I, Cellular Biology in Early Target Discovery (ETD) at our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist I working on the ETD team, you will be empowered to contribute to target discovery and validation efforts that utilize cutting edge techniques in molecular & cellular biology.
The Scientist I of ETD, based in San Diego, will contribute to cloning cDNAs/genes, generating stable cell lines for expression, protein-protein interaction, and functional analysis. Develops cell assays and conducts genomic and compound screens using manual and automated methods. The successful applicant should have extensive bench research experience and enjoy a laboratory-focused role in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team setting.
- Contributes to the ETD s human genetics follow up TIDVAL efforts in by generating cDNAs, recombinant expression vectors, stable/inducible cell lines, and characterizes expression and function by biochemical and cell based assays
- Isolate primary cells and develop cell based assays for target validation studies
- Designs and implements strategies to discover functional consequence of genetic variations (e.g., substitutions and truncations)
- Select, develop and perform quantitative cell culture assays using biochemical and imaging readouts to meet project team requirements.
- Conducts FACS, ddPCR, qPCR and RT-PCR, ELISA, Western blot, cell viability assays
- Develop and execute assays at low or high throughput to study protein-protein interactions and enzymes including ubiquitin ligases.
- Collect, analyze and interpret data in appropriate scientific context.
- Carefully document results in databases and in written and oral scientific reports.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group s internal capabilities
- Positively contributes to group culture that is agile, proactive, collaborative, innovative, and external facing.
- Initiates investigation of new experimental approaches to specific problems using scientific theory and technical literature
- Identifies, plans and executes well defined scientific projects
- Uses defined practices and theoretical knowledge to perform analysis, interpret results and determine appropriate action
- Utilizes relevant information, technology and resources, contributing to complex team problem resolution and objectives
- Interprets results of complex experiments
- Prepares and presents comprehensive technical or project reports and formal presentations / posters to full range of internal/external audiences
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Demonstrates theoretical knowledge of discipline
- Keeps current with emerging trends in discipline
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages own workload
- Scientifically independent
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
- Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in genetics or molecular/cellular biology or pharmacology with publication(s) or
- MS with 6+ years experience, or
- BS with 8+ years experience
- Postdoctoral and/or biotech/pharma drug discovery experience is a plus
- Experience in studying protein-protein interactions, ubiquitin ligases, discovery of PPI disruptors is preferred.
- Expertise with biochemical techniques such as western blot and ELISA is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in protein-protein interaction studies, functional characterization of genetic variants
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, especially the ability to work across multiple scientific disciplines and functions are preferred.
San Diego, CA