Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director/Director, Computational and Statistical Genetics, in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Associate Director/Director, Computational and Statistical Genetics working on the Computational Biology team, you will be empowered to lead a team and perform computational and statistical analysis of human genetics data sets.
The Associate Director, Computational and Statistical Genetics will be part of a team focused on computational biology support of discovery research and translational science. S/he will lead a group of experts in computational and statistical genetics to generate insights from big human data to support reverse and forward translation across multiple therapeutic areas of interest of Takeda. The Associate Director, Computational and Statistical Genetics will apply expertise in statistical genetics, computational biology and genomics to analyze biobank and population scale molecular profiling and phenotype data for the identification and characterization of genes, networks and pathways involved in normal and perturbed physiology. This information will be used to understand the molecular basis of disease pathology and the mechanism of action of drugs, and ultimately be used for selection and progression of drug targets and assets.
- Sets strategic direction, develop tactical plans, motivates, develops and leads team to execute projects effectively
- Develops and maintains human data ecosystem and applies statistical genetics analyses and machine learning tools to large scale internal and external genetics and genomics data to support or falsify target hypotheses and support patient and indication selection and biomarker development for Takeda s therapeutic interest in Neuroscience, Gastroenterology and Rare diseases.
- Performs computational analysis of WES, RNA-seq, other OMICS and real-world data from internal, collaboration and public sources. Applies unsupervised and supervised machine learning and other advanced algorithms to extract novel biologically meaningful information. Provides analysis and interpretation of data, specifically for the selection of new drug targets and indications. Responsible to enhance the target pipeline in Neuroscience, Gastroenterology, and Rare diseases
- Integrates genomics, genetics, epigenetics, metabolomics, proteomics and literature data to strengthen understanding of diseases and treatment perturbations/MOAs.
- Interact with the external scientific community to bring cutting-edge statistical and computational methods to bear on drug discovery and development. Establishes and oversees collaborations with academic labs and CROs.
- Writes study reports and presents data effectively in all settings and with participants of all levels of the organization.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- PhD or equivalent in statistical genetics, computational biology, bioinformatics or similar area required.
- At least 6 years of working experience after degree
- Has a solid background in basic cellular and molecular biology with an understanding of a range of disease areas including neurobiology, gastroenterology, immunology and oncology. Exposure to a wide variety of therapeutic areas such as neuroscience, gastroenterology and oncology is a plus.
- Fluent in the use of R (Bioconductor), Python, and/or other languages commonly used for statistical genetics and computational genomics analysis.
- Must be expert in utilizing of various types of human genetic datasets (e.g. GWAS, CNVs, Rare variants, etc.) and has hands on experience in using public human genetics and epigenetics databases.
- Must be expert in sequencing data analysis such as RNAseq, DNAseq, scRNA-seq, etc.
- Must have a proven track record in the analysis of large OMICS data
- Must be expert in statistical genetics with solid understanding in frequentist or Bayesian inference, Mendelian randomization and polygenetic risk score calculation.
- Must be expert and able to apply advanced machine learning methods such as Hidden Markov Chain, Support Vector Machines, neural nets and deep learning algorithms.
- Driving results is essential. Need to be able to motivate individuals in a cross-functional, matrixed organization and project team setting, to achieve and exceed goals by establishing accountabilities, clarifying performance expectations, agreeing to high standards and measures, monitoring and reviewing performance, and providing timely and relevant feedback.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with an ability to create and drive a shared understanding of a long-term vision.
- Planning, priority setting, and time management are essential.
- Accountability takes responsibility for his or her own performance and accepts full ownership of issues, problems, and opportunities, regardless of the source.
- Comfort with ambiguity is required.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation, including ability for divergent thinking and the propensity to question to traditional methods, processes, and products, as well as build on others' ideas.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal sensitivity, and negotiating skills
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Able to work in a lab environment
- Up to 20% travel, both domestic and internationally may be required.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please
San Diego, CA