Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Global Head of Research Strategy & Operations in our Cambridge office. Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Global Head of Research Strategy & Operations, you will be empowered to drive performance of Global Takeda Research and its partners in fulfilment of Takeda s Research mission and objectives and act as Research Chief of Staff , senior advisor to the Research Head across all GLOBAL strategic & operational initiatives, and a typical day will include:
- Reporting to Head of Research and member of Research Senior Leadership Team (RSLT), lead and execute RS&O support for all Global Research activities
- Drive performance of Global Takeda Research and its partners in fulfilment of Takeda s Research mission and objectives
- Accountable for core RS&O deliverables in (i) Communications, (ii) Strategy, (iii) Portfolio Governance, and (iv) Operations (excl. Scientific)
- Point of contact and engagement for functional leaders in Takeda R&D, including, but not limited to, Portfolio Management, Governance, Communications, Finance, HR, and Procurement, as well as strategy and operations groups embedded within Drug Discovery Units (DDUs) and Research line functions
- Act as Research Chief of Staff , senior advisor to the Research Head across all GLOBAL strategic & operational initiatives, activities, deliverables and special projects.
- As strategic partner to the Research Head, define Research leadership focus and shape Research objectives, KPIs, and MRP (Mid-Range Plan) financial goals
- Oversee Research Communications: drive transparency throughout Research, facilitate connectivity, enable within-function and cross-functional reporting
- Oversee Research Strategy: define RSLT agenda, coordinate Research leadership meetings, execute strategic reviews (e.g., capacity, forecasts, special projects)
- Oversee Research Portfolio Governance: deliver portfolio analytics (probability of technical success, project milestone achievement, dwell time, resourcing), manage governance review, facilitate tracking and project management
- Oversee non-scientific Research Operations: drive continuous operational improvement across Research, co-lead financial planning with Finance, co-lead outsourcing strategy with Procurement, ensure quality and compliance, support Research colleagues professional development
- Define holistic view of Research pipeline to support RSLT portfolio prioritization and inform stakeholders outside Research (e.g., TAUs, CEI, Pharm Sci)
- Manage the overall Research workflow, liaising within Research and beyond (e.g., Legal, Finance, HR, Procurement) to ensure that deliverables are provided on schedule, surface and resolve bottlenecks, and modify business processes to meet Takeda s evolving needs
- Promote a culture of innovation, collaboration, and appropriate risk-taking through personal example, mentorship, and accomplishments.
- Holistic responsibility for driving the Research portfolio forward, as Chief of Staff to Head of Research and balance of both long-term strategic vision and operational execution support.
- Broad understanding of the drug discovery process, objectives, metrics, and how they serve Takeda s overall mission and business goals
- Technical understanding of the roles and responsibilities of all functional leaders and bodies in Takeda R&D (e.g., Portfolio Management, Governance, Communications, Finance, HR), DDUs, Research line functions
- Good understanding of communications, operations, legal, IP, finance, accounting, tax, HR, compliance, facilities management, EH&S, with the ability to traverse these varied disciplines and develop effective and cohesive strategic and operational solutions
- An inspirational leader who shares passion, motivates others, and drive results
- Aligns goals with those of team members and collaborates towards their achievement
- Creates opportunities for scientific and career development for team members at all levels
- Mentors team members through feedback on key decisions, issue resolution, and responses to challenges
- Ensures inclusion and promotes diversity of opinion, background, and representation
- Role models behavior needed to achieve Takeda s Research mission and goals
- Ensures viable succession plan and readiness of candidate successors for roles as necessary
- Empowered and accountable for RS&O senior leadership hiring decisions and oversight of overall headcount and resource deployment
- Owns design, prioritization, and implementation of RS&O initiatives, including, but not limited to, process design, definitions, reporting requirements, systems, vendor selection
- Escalation point for all portfolio prioritization, project start/termination, stage-gate governance timing, hiring, resource reallocation, and other key decisions that do not require RSLT decision
Identified as a Global Takeda thought leader and provides executive-level subject-matter expertise
- Capable of representing multiple dimensions of Takeda s business; capable of representing Takeda's interests at national/international meetings
Stays aware and current on latest scientific innovation in drug discovery and in allied functional areas
- Formulates mid-to-long term innovative strategies to build and sustain an innovative pipeline
- Drives and motivates team to test and deliver new approaches and business models to strengthen the portfolio, improve processes, and reward and retain talent
As a matrixed leader, builds relationships with, influences, and leads both Takeda Research colleagues and Takeda s external collaborators
- Scope includes all of global Takeda Research and any interdependencies with Takeda s other business units (i.e., Plasma-Derived Therapies and Vaccines)
- Must be able to navigate business and cultural considerations across Takeda s global R&D locations, especially Research centers at TBOS, TCAL, and TSHO
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Proactive, resourceful, self-motivated, and should possess exemplary interpersonal skills to interact professionally with all levels in the organization.
- Must recruit, manage, and develop a talented workforce in Research Strategy and Operations.
- Ability to act independently through complex cross-functional matrices and international sites is essential.
- Accurate and concise communication skills are essential.
- Excellent general problem solving and project management skills, and proven ability to manage multiple initiatives and structure complex tasks.
- Minimum of 12+ years experience in the pharma / biotech industry, with demonstrated deep understanding of drug discovery and development practices and significant operational experience in pharma / biotech field.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biology, or related field preferred, but may not be required based on industrial experience in a pharma/biotech R&D setting.
Will manage globally coordinated work product, possibly with direct reports at multiple locations. Up to 50% travel may be required, including domestic and international flights with overnight stays.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.