Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Lead Research Operations in our Cambridge office. Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Lead Research Operations, you will be empowered to work with senior Research leadership to define innovative research operational KPIs and recommend operational improvements to be driven within and beyond the Research Operations group, and a typical day will include:
- Define goals and assess operational effectiveness of Takeda Global Research functions and individual project teams
- Drive continuous improvement through design and implementation of new processes, systems, and change management
- Oversee operational support for Drug Discovery Units and Research line functions through (i) IT, (ii) Finance/Legal, (iii) Procurement, and (iv) Training
- Work with senior Research leadership to define innovative research operational KPIs, tracking these KPIs across Research groups and projects
- Recommend operational improvements to be driven within and beyond the Research Operations group, informed by strategy review, internal becnhmarks, competitive intelligence
- Oversee Research Ops IT: work with IT to design and deliver fit-for-purpose Research systems and applications
- Oversee Research Ops Finance/Legal: act as Research point of contact for Legal, Compliance, and external parties, track and predict resource utilization, provide data for financial planning process, create customized financial analysis for Research audience
- Oversee Research Ops Procurement: collaborate with Global Procurement to design global outsourcing strategy to promote technology access and flexibilize capacity, perform contracting and manage vendor resources
- Oversee Research Ops Training: lead professional development program for Research colleagues that is consistent across Research sites, compile and standardize training materials for tools and processes supported by the department, maintain all necessary accreditations and credentialling for Research groups
- Strong understanding of drug discovery activities in context of Research line functions and project teams
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to act independently through complex cross-functional matrices and international sites.
- Proactive, resourceful, self-motivated and possesses good interpersonal skills to interact professionally with all levels in the organization.
- Has experience of working through virtual and/or matrix team models and
- Excellent general problem solving skills and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and to simplify and organize complex tasks.
- Accurate and precise communication skills are necessary with experience of international partnerships with multiple international contributors to individual projects.
- Track record of successful leadership of matrix teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
- Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Ability to present complex information clearly and with confidence
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organization Ensures and encourages diversity
- Empowered and accountable for team hiring decisions and for oversight of overall headcount deployment
- Decision making responsibilities:
- Provide input to highly complex decisions that impact the functional area
- Accountable for decision making for designated function
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are implemented swiftly to yield flawless execution
- Accountable for providing input to and implementing vision and strategy for designated scope
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging workplace
- Cultivates a broad network of relationships throughout Takeda, with affiliates and external partners, in the industry and area of expertise.
- Effectively represents function in negotiations with the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to build strong relationships and collaborate effectively with other interfacing Takeda functions
- Forward thinking with the ability to recommend, influence and implement organizational change and continuous innovation
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating time to market
- Identifies opportunities and anticipates changes in the business landscape through an understanding and ongoing assessment of the environment affecting the business.
- Role models respect and inclusion, creating a culture that fosters innovation
- Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high degree of complexity
- Deep expertise required
- Ability to see and understand broader, enterprise level perspective
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- 10+ years of relevant business experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Has a proven track record in successfully building teams and driving portfolio progression.
- Is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of Drug Discovery to IND and has a solid foundation in translational sciences and early clinical development.
- Has strong leadership skills and acumen.
- Capable of leading a matrixed team comprised of scientists from within Takeda as well as external collaborators.
- Shows cross-cultural understanding to utilize the diverse talents and has demonstrated ability to manage teams to maximize the organizational productivity
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry with a demonstrable deep understanding of drug discovery & development practices and significant experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical field.
- Advanced degree (MS, MA, MBA, or post graduate studies) in related field preferred but may not be required based on industrial experience in a biotech/pharma R&D setting.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Will manage globally coordinated work product, possibly with direct reports at multiple locations. Approximately 25% travel may be required. Domestic and international flights with overnight stays are required.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.