The internship involves working in laboratory that identifies and validates novel chemical compounds against their enzyme/protein/receptor targets toward the furtherance of drug discovery. The intern will assist scientists in sample preparations, conducting biophysical assays, mainly NMR bur also ITC, MST, nanoDSF. The intern will work closely with a scientist in a pharmaceutical research lab learning and applying practical aspects of biophysics and biochemical assay. This individual will interact closely with other Scientists in the team. Responsibilities will also include maintaining a safe organized lab bench and become proficient with appropriate software necessary to execute the duties and keep an accurate and comprehensive notebook.
- Conduct routine biochemical laboratory tasks which include manual pipetting, plate-based assays, and buffer and sample preparation.
- Expression and purification of proteins for NMR and biochemical studies.
- Assist in the screening of chemical libraries and biophysical characterization of small and large molecule interactions with drug targets using NMR.
- Assist in the day to day operations required to maintain an industrial research laboratory
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited university for the semester before and immediately following the internship.
- Applicants must be pursuing a Bachelor s degree andhave completed at least their sophomore year and are willing to have an internship experience of at least one year (1.5/2 years would be ideal) ; for Bachelor s and Master s degree students, a major in a healthcare or life science field is preferred.
- An excellent academic record in pursuit of a degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field.
- Successful completion of General Chemistry and General Biology (lecture and laboratory). A strong preference will be given to applicants who have completed Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry.
- Highly motivated individual with a strong interest in biophysical chemistry research.
- Applicant must be familiar with preparing solutions, calculating standard dilutions, and comfortable / interested in learning Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)-based approaches in drug discovery.
- Basic understanding of drug-like properties and quantification of binding (Kd measurements).
- Must be deadline driven and have a high level of organizational and planning skills
- The ideal candidate exhibits strong analytical, problem-solving, and oral and written communication skills; he or she also possesses the ability to work well in teams, effectively manage multiple projects, and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Experience in MS Office applications.
San Diego, CA
Paid Intern (Fixed Term) (Trainee)