Formed in 2012, the Vaccine Business Unit (VBU) is the only fully integrated business unit within Takeda spanning R&D, Manufacturing, and Commercial functions. Its mission is to develop and deliver innovative vaccines that tackle the toughest problmes in public health and improve the lives of people around the world. This role will lead portfolio management for the vaccine pipeline, currently comprised of vaccine programs in development for Dengue, Norovirus, Zika, Polio and Influenza, in close partnership with Global Program Teams (GPTs) and functional leaders within VBU. This role will be a key liaison between VBU leaders and the broader Takeda R&D governance process and organization, and will lead the development and implementation of effective processes and standards across each program in the VBU portfolio.
Lead portfolio management for vaccine pipeline
- Drive the creation and maintenance of the portfolio strategy by working closely with GPTs and senior leadership in the vaccines business unit vaccine GPTs in developing vaccines portfolio strategy
- Oversee timely update and review of key asset documents such as asset strategy, integrated development plan, risk management plan, probabilty of success for each vaccine program
- Lead and coordinate portfolio prioritization in VBU by partnering with GPTs and/or VBU functions
- Create and provide the vaccine portfolio strategy and updates for development of vaccine business unit strategic plan (Mid-Range Plan)
- Represent VBU at Takeda R&D s cross-therapeutic area discussions and serve as the interface between VBU and Takeda R&D portfolio management
- Lead annual Takeda-wide portfolio prioritization discussion by partnering with senior leaders from VBU and Takeda R&D
- Lead the creation of portfolio management platform for vaccine pipeline by leveraging the broader Takeda R&D platform(s)
- Work with Takeda Coporate Investor Relations and Takeda R&D teams to provide the vaccine portfolio information for Takeda Investor Relation meetings/announcements
- Manage regular vaccine portfolio update reporting for Takeda R&D and corporate
- Coordinate the process to create long-range vaccine business financial forecasts for annual corporate-wide evaluation by working with VBU finance team
- Initiate and lead ad-hoc portfolio projects and task forces, coordinating as needed
Manage governance process for vaccine portfolio
- Act as Secretary for the Development Committee, VBU s governance body for vaccine portfolio decisions and program updates, by working closely with the committee chairperson to determine topics for discussion and decisions and guide project teams to develop timely and effective materials for decision-ready proposals
- Hold accountability for the quality of the Development Committee discussion and overall meeting effectiveness; drive continuous improvement in conjunction with relevant stakeholders as needed to optimize
- Lead the process to bring vaccine portfolio decisions to the broader Takeda portfolio review committee for endorsement in line with Takeda governance management policy
Optimize vaccine Global Program Teams (GPTs) operations
- Instill and facilitate efficient and effective ways of working across teams to optimize GPT performance
- Partner with GPT leaders and project managers to share and implement processes and system solutions across teams, leveraging best practices from the broader Takeda R&D organization
- Partner with GPTs to align all vaccine programs under the Takeda key asset development framework by working as the conduit to broader Takeda R&D organization
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor s Degree in science, engineering, business or a related field; Master s Degree in science, engineering, business or a related field is preferred; advanced degree (Ph.D) in life science field is ideal.
- For Ph.D: Minimum of 6 years experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 2 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- For Master s Degree: Minimum of 8 years experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 3 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- For Bachelor s Degree: Minimum of 10 years of experience in the industries/consulting companies for biotech, pharmaceuticals or a related field is preferred with a minimum of 4 years experience leading cross-functional teams in a matrix environment.
- Experience in portfolio management is ideal.
- Experience in business strategic planning and analytics is ideal.
- MBA degree is also ideal.
- Experience in management consulting, business development or investment banking companies with a focus on healthcare is a plus.
- Broad healthcare and/or pharmaceutical business exposure is highly preferred. Experience in vaccine industry is ideal.
- Experience working for a global organization including Japan / Asia is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Diplomacy Skills strong skills in working with others, across all levels, functions, cultures, in a global environment; ability to speak multiple languages preferred (English communication skill is a must and Japanese communication skill is preferred).
- Proven leadership skills, conceptual thinking and strategic problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to concisely communicate key information and collaborate effectively with senior management.
- Analytical Skills ability to analyze a wide variety of data, including financial figures to make strategic decisions.
- Strong innovative/critical thinking skills.
- Communications Skills excellent oral, written, and presentation communications skills needed.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time while traveling.
- Approximately 10% travel to US domestic or international locations (e.g. Japan, Europe, or emerging countries) is required.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.