Are you looking for a patient-focused company
that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered
to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist,
Mass-Spectrometry in our San Diego, CA Office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be
a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Senior Scientist, Mass-Spectrometry working
on the Structural
Biology & Biophysics team, you will be empowered
to design, develop, and implement Mass-Spectrometry experiments to support
drug discovery projects and characterize small molecule and antibody
interactions with potential drug targets, including soluble and membrane
The Senior Scientist, Mass - Spectrometry is responsible for
managing the design, development, and implementation of Mass Spectrometry experiments to support drug discovery projects, and characterize small molecule
and antibody interactions with potential drug targets, including soluble and
membrane proteins. This incumbent proactively identifies opportunities to
employ effective and innovative solutions that advance understanding of drug
discovery program needs and challenges. This individual works collaboratively
and effectively with other biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists and
biologists in project team settings and determines the best approach to address
bottlenecks and move projects forward. She/he also leads external collaborators
with private and academic institutions to outsource research and provide access
to skills, resources and capabilities that supplement Takeda s.
- Identify and implement current and emerging MS approaches, whether performed internally or accessed via industry/academic partnerships, in order to impact projects.
- Manage the design, development, and implementation of MS experiments to support drug discovery projects, and characterize small molecule and antibody interactions with potential drug targets.
- Support pharmaceutical drug discovery research efforts by conducting MS and other biophysical experiments and providing the results of such work in a collaborative and effective manner in project team settings with other biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists and biologists.
- Proactively identify opportunities for MS and other technologies to investigate soluble and membrane proteins as well as antibody/antigen interactions.
- Operate and maintain different types of mass spectrometers, including a Q Exactive Orbitrap coupled with LEAP PAL2 robot and QTOF coupled with HPLC.
- Work closely with the Biophysics and Structural Biology Group to develop integrative approaches to address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Identify and implement collaborations with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities. Effectively lead and manage these external collaborations.
- Participate on cross-functional teams, and provide technical leadership in the areas of mass spectrometry.
- Effectively present data to other scientific staff and cross-functional project teams; may present data/posters to external research or scientific community.
- Perform quantitative mass spectrometry based strategies including isotopic labeling, SILAC, and label-free analysis.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related discipline with at least 4 years biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 14 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 16 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent.
- Strong background in HDX and peptide mapping strategies, and well versed in other MS techniques such as ASMS, Native MS and Ion mobility MS.
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of drug discovery within one or more areas.
- Experience in the study of membrane proteins and antibody-antigen interactions as well as a good understanding of other biophysical techniques like TSA, SPR, ITC, DLS and fluorescence spectroscopy.
- Strong track record for studying protein interactions and macromolecular complexes as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
- Familiar with other structural biology methods like X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy and electron microscopy.
- Good team player with positive attitude and strong collaboration skills including the ability to work individually as well as part of an effective team.
- Highly motivated and flexible with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Detail oriented and with very high scientific standards.
- Demonstrated interest in applying MS strategies to fragment based drug discovery.
- Professionally represent the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions and external relationships and conferences.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates
- Use hands on a regular basis to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates.
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work.
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals.
- Less than or equal to 5% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meetings and/or trips to meet with collaborators and CROs
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.