Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Investment Director, TVI in our Cambridge, MA office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Senior Investment Director, TVI working on the venture and investment team, you will be empowered to add to the growing portfolio and help develop new undertakings at Takeda, and a typical day will include:
The Senior Investment Director contributes significantly to the growth and success of Takeda external R&D initiatives by identifying and nurturing high quality strategic investment opportunities. In this role, he/she works autonomously to evaluate, diligence and propose investment opportunities to key governance bodies (TVI, Investment Committee, BRC). Post-investment participation as a Board member or observer will contribute to advancement of the company on behalf of shareholders, including facilitating interactions with Takeda that result in win:win strategic transactions.
Self-confidence, independence and out of the box thinking must combine with a strong team ethic, discipline with respect to venture priorities and open, collaborative communication internally as well as externally.
The Senior Investment Director is a key ambassador for Takeda venture philosophy and best practice internally and externally. As a result of these endeavors, TVI will develop the brand of a strategic investment partner of choice.
- Cultivates and establishes a comprehensive, deep network of external relations providing first-mover access to therapeutic innovation within the broader venture community (academia, entrepreneurs, biotech clusters, government and private life science initiatives)
- Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders of external innovation within Takeda R&D, serving as the primary Takeda venture point of contact for strategic investment into one or more therapeutic areas
- Recognizes and contextualizes potentially first-in-class science/technology requiring extensive external consultation with experts in the field, coupled with translation of the opportunity to internal stakeholders in terms of current Therapeutic Area strategic imperatives
- Leads complex, potentially multi-party negotiations requiring a comprehensive understanding of venture investment best practices in North America and Europe, the fundamentals of corporate finance, and any territory-specific corporate legal implications of the investment
- Serves as a Board Member (non-executive director) or Board Observer on TVI portfolio companies, honoring fiduciary obligations to all shareholders while, in parallel, seeking opportunities for one or more win:win strategic transactions between the portfolio company and Takeda
- Vocal senior advocate for the continuous improvement of Takeda External Innovation processes and evolution of creative deal structures; works proactively with CEI, GBD and TAUs / DDUs to enhance strategic competitiveness, and inform forward R&D strategy via the TVI external lens
- Manages business relationships and counsels business partners, internally and externally, on transaction and strategic issues pertaining to external venture opportunities
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MD or PhD in a related field (biochemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, etc.).
- Minimum of 15 years experience in the Venture Capital or Biopharmaceutical industry, with a proven track record in Research, Business Development or venture investing.
- A highly professional individual with ambition and an entrepreneurial mind
- A strong team player, with a clear awareness of knowing when to lead and when to simply participate as a key team member
- Some combination of acknowledged relationships with venture investment institutions, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and high caliber academic institutions.
- Extensive exposure to research at the University level with a broad level of exposure to multiple disciplines.
- Understands the competitive landscape in private and public sector lifesciences industries, and is knowledgeable enough to anticipate new trends and developments in healthcare generally, pharmaceutical R&D specifically
- Experience in negotiating and managing third party collaboration, licensing and development contracts. Has a good understanding of the laws and regulations affecting venture investments at the state, federal and international level.
- Business acumen- has a thorough understanding of, and can champion, the highest standards of good business practice.
- Problem solving and decision-making demonstrates sound judgment and creativity to deal with complex issues and decisions. Ability to explore positions and alternatives to reach beneficial outcomes for all parties involved
- Analytical skills ability to analyze a wide variety of data including research methodology, outcomes studies, business plans, research data, financial figures and market data to make sound business decisions and recommendations
- Communication ability to communicate ideas and data both verbally and in writing in a persuasive and appropriate manner, with deference to cross-cultural communications.
- Management ability to establish priorities and monitor research progress of the investment companies. Leads others to work together. Rewards and recognizes desired performance. Provides leadership, coaching, representation and support.
- Interpersonal ability to work effectively and get along with others with diverse backgrounds.
- Team building- ability to work collaboratively in a team and encourage teamwork.
- Relationship Building Skills ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders and build trust with others to increase Takeda s competitive advantage.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Carrying, handling and reaching for object
- Reports to the President & CEO, Takeda Ventures, Inc
- Budget Accountability: travel and related business expenses
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.