In this role, the Head of Biologics Research will be based in Cambridge, MA, and will report to Takeda s Head of Oncology Drug Discovery Unit & Immunology Unit. The Head of Biologics Research will be responsible for defining the vision and strategies for a world-class Biologics Research organization and will serve as a highly visible leader in Takeda. He/She will oversee an operational team developing differentiated therapeutic biologics molecules, ranging from conventional immunoglobulin molecules to novel scaffolds, and with various functional modalities. This team will provide internal expertise in molecular biology, protein and cell line engineering, antibody discovery/optimization/production, and analytics, and will leverage complementary external platforms and CROs as required.
This senior leader will be responsible for providing expert guidance on the biologics asset strategy for all of Takeda s core therapeutic areas (Oncology, GI diseases and CNS) and will partner with other functional leaders to deploy resources to programs according to their prioritization within the Global Research portfolio. This leader will organize a Community of Practice for Biologics within Global Takeda that allows for information sharing, leveraging of expertise, and sharing lessons learned. In close collaboration with Toxicology, DMPK, and CMC teams, this leader will ensure the seamless transition of candidate molecules from Discovery into Development. Additionally, this leader will help identify and evaluate new technologies, in-licensing opportunities, and collaborations, and will deploy resources as necessary to support exploratory efforts in new modalities, including alternative antibody scaffolds.
- Reports to Head of Oncology DDU & Immunology Unit and manages a team of scientists (up to Senior Director level) focused on developing a portfolio of cutting-edge Biologics molecules for Takeda s core therapeutic areas of Oncology, GI, and CNS.
- Sets vision and implements strategies for a world class biologics research organization.
- Serves as a champion for Biologics in Takeda, and effectively communicates with internal and external stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Leads a Community of Practice for Biologics within Global Takeda.
- Collaborates with Takeda s Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) Heads to establish asset strategies, determine prioritization and resourcing, and align on timelines.
- In alignment with DDU Heads, supports high-priority external partnerships and collaborations focused on Biologics modalities.
- Establishes a professional tracking system for Biologics assets and programs, and provides monthly (and when necessary real-time ) updates to Takeda s senior leaders on the Global Biologics portfolio, resource allocation, and timelines.
- Establishes an operational model that optimizes the utilization of external platforms and CROs to achieve industry-standard timelines with the flexibility to minimize bottlenecks by scaling resources according to program needs.
- Provides support for exploratory efforts on alternative antibody scaffolds.
- Establishes or provides access to all the necessary competencies to advance molecules from hit-finding to lead optimization to candidate/backup selection and IND.
- Provides leadership, strategic oversight, resource management, and organizational framework to ensure timely achievement of pipeline goals.
- Identifies, supports and manages talent; provides real-time feedback to scientists for performance management and career development.
- Stays up to date with advances in the scientific literature and specifically in Biologics methodologies, including consulting with key opinion leaders.
- Oversees within the Biologics function goal-setting, budget administration, and other administrative functions.
- When appropriate, professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences.
- Protects intellectual property and grows its external presence through ongoing commitment to the production of high quality patents, presentations and publications.
- Works in close alignment with stakeholders across Takeda, including CMC, Pharm Sci, DMPK, DSRE, IP, Legal, and HR.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Life Science with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience, and a minimum of 15 years industry experience with at least 10 years of leadership/managerial experience.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in all areas of drug discovery from target discovery and identification through lead selection, preclinical research and preclinical development.
- Successful leadership of biological target and drug discovery program(s), specifically including therapeutic antibodies, from discovery phase to clinical candidates.
- Recognized leader and expert with a track record in advancing Biologics programs through IND filings to clinical development.
- Track record of accomplishment in antibody research as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/inventions.
- Fluent in antibody discovery, screening methods and applications.
- Recognized expert in antibody research and its applications within at least two therapeutic areas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation, organization, and synthesis of large amounts of data for presentation to internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high performing, productive team(s).
- Demonstrated proficiency in administrative skills.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips.
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 15% or more travel
we are driven to improve people's lives
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visithttp://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.