The Director provides project management and leadership skills to the Center for External Innovation in the successful identification, evaluation, and conclusion of transactions as well as post-transaction collaboration management to meet Takeda s strategic objectives. The Director also helps create and implement CEI s external communication strategy, develop and implement knowledge management systems, and lead strategic and operational initiatives for CEI.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the global CEI team as well as key stakeholders such as Global Business Development, Legal, IP, Finance, and other members of the deal teams to develop and execute on the DDU s and TAU s external innovation strategies and plans.
- Collaborate with global colleagues to prioritize and monitor progress on TAU-driven external innovation opportunities, drive the teams to clarify issues for each opportunity, focus on effective contingencies, interface with TAU and CEI management to drive and influence decision-making, and develop plans to obtain approval from appropriate governing bodies.
- Collaborate with CEI, GBD, and Finance colleagues to develop and maintain forecasts of P&L and balance sheet impacts for the portfolio of existing partnership and potential opportunities.
- Collaborate with global CEI and GBD colleagues, as well as corporate communications, R&D communications, and external firms to develop communication strategies and corresponding marketing materials (print, online, social media, etc.) to strengthen Takeda s brand recognition and external perceptions of Takeda as a deal partner as well as for the effective communication of CEI s mission to internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues and external firms to assess user requirements and design technology solutions to address CEI s needs such in knowledge management such as contacts management and analytics, deal flow tracking and reporting, external innovation network analytics, and post-deal obligations management (financial & non-financial).
Strategic and Operational Initiatives
Develop and implement sustainable solutions to meet corporate strategic initiatives, develop and implement operating models, systems, and processes to improve efficiency of CEI and GBD such as improving triage and due diligence processes, reducing cycle times for segments of the deal flow process, eliminating bottlenecks, and improving the quality of materials presented to PRC and BOD.
- Participate in discussions with DDU, TAU, and Portfolio Management functions to understand the external innovation strategy and plan for DDUs and TAUs and facilitate the prioritization of opportunities and projects.
- In collaboration with global CEI colleagues, assemble and manage cross-functional due diligence teams, define and track the progress of due diligence, outline key strategic objectives and operational plans for each transaction, ensure timelines are met, and ensure post-transaction financial and non-financial obligations are defined and tracked (e.g. impact on P&L and balance sheet, FTEs , etc.).
- Establish, communicate, and execute plans resulting in achievement of the external innovation project goals of each DDU and TAU.
- Guide and manage the creation of templates that encompass all ongoing and previously reviewed deals
- Track and report status of projects to key stakeholders
- Identify ways to accelerate project execution while maintaining high quality standards
- Continuously and efficiently manage stakeholders at various levels and across functions
- Collaborate with global CEI colleagues DDUs, and TAUs to develop and monitor project-specific timelines, identify ways to efficiently manage due diligence and other deal activities, and make suggestions for improving the deal review and governance process.
- Collaborate with global CEI colleagues to define the key strategic and operational objectives and needs for each external transaction. Define the key success metrics for each transaction and establish mechanisms and processes to track post-deal progress on these objectives and success metrics. Communicate progress, lessons learned, and suggestions for improvement to CEI and GBD as well as to broader TAU/DDU community and External Innovation committee.
- Prepare and communicate to External Innovation committee on a periodic and ongoing basis progress against metrics for each transaction, discussing the lessons learned and operational needs as well as suggestions for improvements.
- Ensure Takeda complies with post-transaction obligations via appropriate communications and facilitations with global Takeda colleagues and external partners
Strategic and Operational Initiatives
- Improve triage process for potential deals to reduce resources spent evaluating off-strategy deals.
- Continuously improve the speed and quality of the due diligence process to be used by CEI/BD Leads and PMs including risk identification, risk mitigation, roles and responsibilities for each stakeholder/key function by deal stage and type, and appropriate metrics for speed and quality.
- Create and implement streamlined due diligence reporting templates for each key due diligence team/stakeholder
- Conduct After Action Reviews for each due diligence and improvement opportunities with key stakeholders
- Develop quantitative KPI metrics for various stages of CEI deal flow e.g. cycle times from CDA to due diligence, due diligence to Non-binding Term Sheet/No-Go, due diligence initiation to final decision (Non-binding Term Sheet/approval or no-go); % of deals closed; % of deals that progress to Non-binding Term Sheet and Final Contract, etc.
- Measure CEI performance against metrics and report results to CEI senior management
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues in CEI, GBD, Corporate Communications, and external firms to develop and successfully deliver effective communication materials for key meetings, conferences, and conventions such as JP Morgan, BIO, Takeda Innovation Events, etc.
- Measure the effectiveness of the CEI/GBD internal and external communication strategies via surveys, benchmarking, etc. in making a significant improvement versus survey baselines:
- Internal target areas: internal customers' and stakeholders' awareness of, engagement with, and confidence in CEI and GBD regarding strategic and financial contributions to R&D and Commercial
- External target areas: Takeda s ability to add value to partners compound/TA of interest; Takeda s creativity and flexibility on deal terms, Takeda s responsiveness during deal negotiations, accessibility of CEI/GBD to outside parties, alliance management, etc.
- Articulate the effectiveness of CEI s external and internal communication strategy to CEI senior management
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor s Degree in a scientific- or business-related field is required
- Advanced degree in science or business is required
- PMP certification strongly desired
- MBA or equivalent strongly desired
- Thorough knowledge (minimum 10years) of pharmaceutical industry and experience in Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, Marketing, or other drug development related function or related experience in strategic/management consulting to pharmaceutical industry.
- 6-8 years project management experience and/or proven leadership experience in managing a globally matrixed team with or without direct reports.
- Significant relevant experience in global cross-cultural collaboration
- Proven leadership skills managing matrix teams, influencing outcomes and key project decisions, and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and objectively to senior management
- Strong influencing skills
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
Knowledge and Skills
- May travel to Takeda s offices in the US, UK, EU, and Japan as well as other meeting locations internationally.
- Approximately 10-25% travel is required.
we are driven to improve people's lives
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visithttp://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.