The Head of Biology for CNS Research acts as the strategic
leader for research activities for the Takeda California CNS Drug Discovery
Unit and is responsible for all biological activities from target identification
through to preclinical translational support for clinical assets up to early
proof of concept in patients. The Takeda California team employs enterprise
thinking and creative partnerships with internal and external organizations
to translate human patient data sets and proprietary bacTRAP data into
innovative drug discovery projects that are aimed at transforming the quality
of life of patients suffering from neurodevelopment disorders such as
schizophrenia and autism.
- Guided by the Global CNS Drug Discovery Unit and Therapeutic
Area Unit strategy, sets the local strategy for the Takeda California CNS Drug
Discovery Unit group
- Leads the selection of new drug targets and executes
efficient preclinical lead optimization and translational biology validation,
incorporating target engagement and/or functional biomarkers of drug action
- Expands portfolio to incorporate large molecule therapeutics
and collaborates with the Takeda functions and external partners to enable
their progression to clinical PoM.
- Develops an innovation portfolio with Takeda partners, CROs
and academic collaborators that can test and deliver the next generation of CNS
drug discovery concepts
- Seeks, evaluates and proposes preclinical/clinical
- Identifies, engages, and ensures the success of research
partnerships across Takeda s global network and the external scientific
- Keeps up-to-date with the latest scientific advancements
(e.g. competitive situation, new technologies and partnerships) and is well
informed about current regulatory (FDA etc.) requirements and trends.
- Sets departmental scientific and business goals and manages
the financial budget and other administrative functions
- Has significant accountability for the performance and
results of functional groups or strategic business, scientific or support
- Leads, coaches, and provides direct scientific leadership to
- Works with the leadership team, Translational Research and
Early Clinical and Therapeutic Area Unit to allocate appropriate resources to
ensure timely achievement of pipeline and technology goals
- Develops talent within the department, providing performance
feedback and training opportunities.
- Implements initiatives and best practices to ensure an open
and free scientific culture that is rich in diversity.
- Collaborates with senior management to manage company
operations, set company-wide policies and ensure compliance
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD in Life Sciences or equivalent with at least 10 years of relevant experience
- Well informed in all areas of drug discovery from target identification through preclinical research, including biomarker, and PK/PD/Tox assays.
- Track record of accomplishment in research as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and/or inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Track record of leading complex cross-functional collaborations
- Demonstrated ability to organize the activities of a large team of scientists working in highly diverse scientific areas, including managing relationships with academic collaborators and CROs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation and organization of data for efficient presentation to any internal or external senior audience or partner.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Carrying, handling and reaching for 25 lb. objects.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips.
- Some international travel will be required, likely several times yearly.
- Requires approximately 15% or more travel.
we are driven to improve people's lives
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans. For more information, visithttp://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.