The Associate Director reports into the Director of Project Management and is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the Project Management group within their portfolio of brands. The ASSOC. DIR. will be the problem-solving partner to the account leads for all things financial & logistical, leading the agency team to meet its deliverables with both decisiveness and confidence. The ASSOC. DIR. will manage 4-6 or more PMs (at various levels) assigned within a project portfolio. For certain key projects, an ASSOC. DIR. may manage the projects directly.
The ASSOC. DIR. has a pro-active, can-do attitude, with a sense of urgency and willingness to take on additional tasks when necessary. The right candidate will have a strong personality and be direct in team communications, but will exhibit superb professionalism and diplomacy.
The ASSOC. DIR. always projects a calm, positive attitude toward peers and conveys confidence without over-promising expectations. The right candidate will seek to be solution-oriented and build strong relationships across agency disciplines, as well as, with external inVentiv partners and vendors. Strong conflict-resolution skills necessary.
The ASSOC. DIR. exhibits strong leadership skills and collaborative approach to problem-solving. The ASSOC. DIR. is a critical thinker that can both evaluate granular data, yet maintain 'big picture' focus of the overall project portfolio.
Ensuring the financial health of the business portfolios:
- Monitors project performance w/weekly analysis of hours - ie. weekly financial meetings for all brands within the portfolio.
- Develop annual scopes in partnership with Account and dept. leads and update as needed. Trains PMs on how to develop.
- Develop/review project estimates and ensure they are approved internally and externally and entered into Advantage, the financial system.
- Manage project timelines and cost to approved scopes and estimates, communicating when change orders are required.
- Identify any financial risk to project budget or forecast.
Oversight of project development:
- Partners with AS and PM to determine project parameters, goals and intent.
- Attend project pre-kick and kick-offs to ensure project assumptions are defined and project hours/timing realistic to the project needs.
- Partner with Resource Director to ensure staffing needs are met and aligned to project/brand workload.
- Take the lead with more complex/digital work, with a focus on oversight and risk identification/mitigation.
- Oversees timeline development efforts of PM(s), as well as, developing timelines for complex digital projects for int/ext approval.
- Oversee project timelines templates are utilized and adapted as needed.
- Leads lessons learned discussions with team when projects get derailed. This may result in process changes.
- Is familiar with Client/Brand standards.
- Has a client facing role when deemed necessary.
- Support special agency or new business projects as needed.
- Advocate and champion the Agency processes (including the Digital 5D s process). Able to define and manage team adherence to work stream and delivery process; ability to identify risks to customizing processes and escalating to senior leads for confirmation prior to adoption as necessary to meet timeline or budget constraints.
- Partner with Director of Ops on agency projects, workflow optimization, and training.
- Support onboarding and training new employees.
- Ensures proper resources are allocated to projects.
- Flag when team members have work conflicts that might jeopardize project deadlines.
- Facilitate resourcing discussions for spikes in work (launch planning, POA planning, etc.).
Problem-solving and leadership:
- Possesses a holistic view of risk assessment across projects being managed (whether direct or through projects owned by partner PMs under their supervision) both from a logistical and financial perspective.
- Leads the team with experience and confidence.
- Works collaboratively and builds trusting relationships across the agency.
- Always interacts with team in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Is a proponent of change management and adapts to new business models.
- Continually demonstrates strong conflict resolution skills. Fosters problem resolution across core team.
- Takes initiative and is solutions-oriented.
Project Management team development:
- Manage 4-6 PMs of varying roles and experience.
- Ensuring performance management for the group is an ongoing process throughout the year with real-time discussions around areas of improvement and successes through personal observations and 360 feedback.
- Continually build PM skills to align to dept., and personal goals through 1:1 meetings and trainings.
- Training and ensuring consistent pull-through of roles and responsibilities.
- Partner with other ASSOC. DIR. to ensure consistency across the entire dept.
- BA/PMP certification, a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in a PM leadership, supervisory role overseeing digital/print production of pharmaceutical sales materials (print and digital sales aids, iPad applications, videos, responsive websites, banner ads, email tools, 4C print collateral, etc.).
- Direct management and/or portfolio team management of $10-20M in brand revenue.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Pharmaceutical ad agency experience with launch, med/legal and FDA 2253/OPDP submission experience.
- Finance: Proficiency developing scopes, estimates, and weekly project performance reporting.
- MS Suite: Word, Project, Excel, PowerPoint; Acrobat Professional; web-based paperless routing, project management system administration & finance system experience for estimating / budget monitoring Bottom of Form; knowledge of digital ticketing systems and Client submission systems.