Provides strong technical support to new target and drug discovery program and peer leadership to the In vitro Biology group. Responsible for research experiments and data integrity, as assigned by management. This incumbent must be able to participate in the design of, and implement experiments specializing in, electrophysiology, molecular biology techniques, cell culture/cell biology/signaling/assay development and metabolic phenotyping experiments studies in rodents.
Reports to the Director of the In vitro Biology Department. Internal relationships include working with research employees, project managers, as well as colleagues in Diabetes & Obesity Research in, Novo Nordisk Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, and Novo Nordisk Beijing. External relationships include relevant parts of the obesity research community, including key opinion leaders
- Demonstrates a breadth of knowledge and skills to independently support development and management of research protocols in support of multiple drug discovery efforts.
- Achieves business goals, shares learnings, knowledge and skills, and promotes cross-functional teamwork.
- Complete assignments of diverse scope and complexity requiring a strong understanding and knowledge of techniques and practices related to the research area.
- Ensures data integrity. Conducts data collection, accurately interprets experimental data and formulates conclusions, and may communicate data externally. Ensures proper documentation of experimental data; may contribute to milestone/project documentation. Maintains laboratory notebooks.
- Identifies the correct methods and performs calculations for sample preparation.
- In collaboration with the research scientist, designs and performs laboratory research experiments.
- Manages site inventory. Orders laboratory supplies and equipment. Maintains the laboratories and performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Performs in vitro and/or in vivo biology research to support multiple target discovery efforts.
- Demonstrates a high level of proficiency and understanding in area of specialization.
- Works with Department Heads and Scientists to ensure better practice sharing and implementation within the lab.
- Approximately 5% overnight travel
- Flexibility and willingness to work under low light levels
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust work hours as required by research needs
- Some weekend work may be required
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Master or BA plus 6+ years of experience, advanced degree (PhD w/o postdoc experience) may be substituted for experience as appropriate
- Previous experience with in vitro electrophysiology that includes whole-cell voltage clamp, current clamp, loose patch, and optogenetics
- Requires experience working with scientific software (Multichannel Suite, Neuroexplorer, pClamp, Clamfit, and Origin)
- Extensive knowledge in neuroanatomy
- Experience in electrophysiological recordings in brain slices is desired
- Experience in microelectrode array recordings is desired
- Ability and/or comfort to work with different rodent models, including extensive knowledge of animal care, genotyping, and GFP expressing transgenic mice lines
- Requires knowledge of in vitro cell culture techniques and analysis, including standard cell culture techniques, primary cell culture production and maintenance, developing and conducting cell based and in vitro bioassays, and knowledge of making and working with primary cell cultures from different species
Requisition ID: 59218BR
Job Category: Research