US-WA, Senior Research Scientist - Diabetic Kidney Disease (DKD) Job 395840400A0-MZ
|Requisition ID 45673BR|
Title Senior Research Scientist - Diabetic Kidney Disease (DKD)
Job Category Research & Development
Job Description Purpose:
To provide technical expertise and execute research strategies in support of mostly late stage translational projects focused on expedited evaluation and translation of therapies for diabetic kidney disease. This position will be responsible for providing peer leadership and technical support in the laboratory for research experiments and data integrity. This position will provide expertise in kidney disease & fibrosis, along with peer leadership & technical support, critical identifying and evaluating novel and innovative targets and disease- and/or therapy-relevant biomarkers. Provide support in other aspects of company activities in the assigned therapeutic area. This position will also provide medical expertise in the area of treatment of diabetic kidney disease in order to evaluate novel late stage assets on the background of the existing and future standard of care. Expertise in kidney (histo)-pathology is also important.
Reports to the VP of Type 1 Diabetes & Diabetic Kidney Disease, NNRC. Internal relationships include working closely with members of the scientific leadership team & technical staff, project managers and additional scientific colleagues in Denmark, & technical staff in other departments at NNRC & in Denmark. External interactions include working with key opinion leaders in diabetic kidney disease & fibrosis, the medical & research community, & potential academic & industry-based collaborators.
MEDICAL AND RESEARCH COMMUNITY LIAISON:
• Attend appropriate external scientific meeting and, where possible, present data.
• Use networking opportunities to provide research opportunities with NNRC.
• Write, and review collaborative research manuscripts.
• Achieve business goals, share information, learnings, knowledge and skills and promote cross-functional teamwork.
• Actively review patents and patent applications in areas of research relevance and identify opportunities.
• Assume responsibility for project design and implementation.
• Communicate regularly with international colleagues within Novo Nordisk.
• Day to day supervision of research personnel in the kidney disease and fibrosis research area.
• Develop and manage relevant research protocols in support of Discovery efforts.
• Draft scientific reports and prepare presentation slides.
• Ensure appropriate level of communication with other Directors and with Project Managers.
• Implement and supervise laboratory studies in support of kidney disease and fibrosis research.
• Interpret and properly document experimental data.
• Maintain current awareness of scientific literature in the area of kidney disease and fibrosis.
• Provide unified research-driven innovation and continuous improvement within own Department and across Departments.
• 10-20% overnight travel required.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
• MD and/or Ph.D. required in immunology, molecular biology, or relevant biological science area with minimum 6-years post-degree experience in diabetes & diabetic kidney disease
• A subject matter expert with a high level of creativity
• Track record of scientific leadership and accomplishments.
• Experience functioning as both a team leader and a team player with strong people and collaboration skills. Deep interest and talent for interpersonal relations and communication, excellent situational leadership and change management skills
• Experience & knowledge concerning animal models of fibrosis.
• Experience conducting assays & analyzing data as research endpoints for human trials preferred.
• Significant medical knowledge of fibrosis & diabetic kidney disease, as well as an understanding of treatment options and complications.
• Excellent in establishing trustful relationships, and cross-cultural understanding – this individual will represent our activities in diabetic kidney disease also in conjunction with major national and international consortia
• Experience in driving drug & biomarker discovery efforts in areas of chronic kidney disease, diabetic kidney disease, and fibrosis, including establishment of innovative methods to facilitate discovery and validation
• Fluency in spoken and written English is a prerequisite for the role
• Good communication skills and cross-cultural understanding to interact in the global organization
• Drug development experience gained in major pharma/biotech company, including responsibilities for early target discovery programs and in bringing drug-candidates from discovery through pre-clinical stage in multiple relevant indications a plus.
• Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial spirit, cross functional work, personal leadership, drive and energy, preference will be given for people with experience in a global organization Proven scientific track record documented by publications in high-ranking journals
• Role models the Novo Nordisk-way, encouraging a culture of engagement and dedication
• Strong analytical skills for integrating and interpreting interdisciplinary data
• Strong, dynamic, ambitious and determined
Department NNRC - T1D MGMT
Position Location US - Seattle, WA
State/Provinces US - WA
At Novo Nordisk, we know that driving change on a global level and improving treatment outcomes for people with diabetes and other chronic diseases begins here at home. That's why we make an unmatched commitment to our employees, our families and our communities. That means outstanding rewards, industry-leading training programs, and an environment that supports you to achieve your goals at every level. It's all part of the Novo Nordisk Way. It includes our Vision and our commitment to the Triple Bottom Line principle – helping us find the right balance between compassion and competitiveness
With a career at Novo Nordisk, you’ll feel a difference right from the start. It’s a sense of inspiration and mobility that comes from a shared belief in driving positive change for people, families, and communities everywhere. Congratulations on taking your first step!
Novo Nordisk is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please visit our website at www.novonordisk.com