US-NJ, Global Head of Portfolio Strategy & Innovation Operations 237350BR-MZ
Global Head of Portfolio Strategy & Innovation Operations
Global Drug Development
East Hanover, NJ
Research & Development
The Global Head of Portfolio Strategy & Innovation (PS&I) Operations will be responsible for collaborating with the Global Head of PS&I in the development and implementation of an industry-leading portfolio strategy and innovation function for the GDD division, including digital development. The role will also provide central management of budget, resource planning/management, and day-to-day administrative operations of PS&I.
Provide project management for key strategy initiatives launched by PS&I and implement a GDD Scorecard for tracking innovation initiatives
Coordinate and align GDD s key governance meetings IMB, DCN Portfolio Review, and OpEx committee meetings
Manage PS&I budget and day-to-day operations (e.g., resource planning/management, coordination with key partner functions)
Play a leading role in helping cultivate an external ecosystem of partners that supports our innovation agenda and creating an innovation market within GDD to help match external partners providing innovative services with GDD line functions and development units looking to leverage innovative services to address a pain point
Ensure effective communication and coordination of related activities throughout PS&I. Influence and ensure alignment with other GDD Departments to fully leverage PS&I activities and create impact across the enterprise.
1.Direct involvement and significant responsibility for translating the vision of GDD executive leaders (DCN members, Head PS&I, Head Development) into execution plans.
2 Influence overall PS&I departmental objectives and long-term goals of organization and drive key strategy initiatives as member of PS&I Leadership team with a focus on developing innovative solutions to solve complex challenges across GDD enterprise.
3 Oversee development of governance charters and agenda alignment between major GDD governance committee meetings such as IMB, DCN Portfolio Review and OpEx Committee.
4. Develop and track a GDD enterprise wide Scorecard to guide and drive GDD-wide business model improvements and inform prioritization of resources across GDD
5. Responsible for overseeing both strategic and day-to-day aspects of operational activities and business administration for all PS&I functions by working closely with Global Head of PS&I and leadership team. Responsible for overseeing consulting and partnership agreement activities.
6. Collaborate with Head PS&I and leadership team in cultivating an ecosystem of external partners to advance our innovation agenda and participation in transformational initiatives across GDD
7. Play a lead role in developing and implementing a communications plan in collaboration with GDD communications group to increase the reach and relevance of PS&I both internally and externally.
8. Accountable for project management of resource planning (headcount and finances) for all PS&I functions and locations. Review and challenge resource requests and expenditures.
9. Manage headcount requests, staffing activities with Human Resource (HR) representatives and monitor against headcount targets. Work with PS&I Function Heads to ensure recruitment of top talent, completion of performance management/HR procedures, and optimal resource deployment and reallocation within and across PS&I.
10. Responsible for managing global PS&I internal and external finances. Provide consolidated latest estimates on current annual budget and projections for future annual budgets. Identify issues and propose mitigating plans to facilitate decision making and prioritization of spend.
11. Work with team members to modify operational and administrative processes to enhance productivity, efficiency and/or quality and to achieve operational excellence. Develop and implement Clinical Development standards and processes relevant to PS&I with a high level of compliance.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Education (minimum/desirable): B.A or B.S. at an accredited institution required. Doctoral degree (or MBA with equivalent experience) in scientific, business or engineering discipline preferred.
Languages: Excellent English required (oral & written).
Ten years of pharmaceutical industry experience, preferably in business strategy functions or program management; Experience in finance and/or trial experience desirable:
Five years people management and development experience required. Global people management experience desirable;
Demonstrated success in resource planning and management;
Strong communication skills to support effective, credible interactions with executive management
Significant experience with and demonstrated success in working on global cross-functional diverse teams;
Excellent negotiation, conflict resolution, decision making, problem solving, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
Demonstrated leadership in innovation of pharmaceutical development processes and in technical approaches.
Quality and focus oriented
Results driven, self-starter with proactive working style, committed and accountable, transparent working style also under pressure
Excellent Planning, organizational and computer skills
* If a direct employer requests that you go to their web site and complete your application there in order to be
considered, please do so. Applications for all positions are subject to each employer's specific requirements.