Follow MedZilla on Twitter

Clinical Research Careers
Looking for a great job in 
Forum List | Go to Top | New Topic | Search View Oldest First
CRA I entry level salary expectation
Author:  CRA Wannabee
Date:  03-20-12 07:49am
Reply to this Post

I am a Clinical Trial Assistant with almost 4 years in research (Oncology)at site and small pharma. I am CCRP certified. I have a Master's degree, nursing back ground, co monitoring and some independent monitoring experience. I have had phone screens with some CRO's, but their salary levels are quite low, especially for the amount of traveling required. I expected to start as a CRA I with my level of experience at 65K to 70K. Another person on another thread started at 72K. What is reasonable in the Northeast? I do not want to low-ball myself, yet I am ready to move forward. I am not getting past the phone screens. I am willing to relocate. I don't know what else to do. It appears that these companies want to travel you like a dog around the world for 55K per year! It seems that in older Medzilla CRA I salary threads from several years ago, CRAs were starting in the low 60s. Why have salaries decreased for entry level CRAs? Isn't this a profession and not a job?

Show next 16 posts >>

Post Jobs - get great candidates!

Author: lvohznszppgmail.com Dec 29, 2018, 06:47PM

?   Log In to Report Post

"United sold nearly three million shirts last season, according to? marketing firm Euroamericas."
? http://www.shopcheapab.com/%20%20?20-ID35504.html

Author: ifmeejpfgmail.com Dec 26, 2018, 11:32AM

?   Log In to Report Post

google_adset('Web_Sub_view_in_200x200','C');20? ?? 5? 30? ?? ?????????? ???????? ??? ?? ???????? ? ?.
? http://www.xinbashop.com/%20?20%20-ID26103.html

Author: CRC entry level May 24, 2018, 09:58AM

Re: CRA I entry level salary expectation   Log In to Report Post

Hi I'm looking to get a opportunity in Clinical Research I have applied to several places but have not heard back. Most roles for CRC. Can someone help me with what I should do?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 27, 2018, 11:46PM

It seems the CRA (salary) market is heating up. I have less than 3 years experience and my salary is now in the mid 90k region. If i were aggressive and switch 1-2 times to new companies, i probably could get nicely above 100k in no time.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Dec 27, 2016, 09:25AM

I'm an unmatched FMG, US Citizen and unemployed for a few years for personal reasons but I have always been interested in CRA. any help?

What are others saying about MedZilla?

Author: Ben Nov 07, 2016, 12:01PM

Re: CRA I entry level salary expectation (Log In to Contact) Log In to Report Post

Full disclosure: I'm a CRA Recruiter; here are my two cents regarding salary. Regional location, size of company, how desperate that company is to hire due to high turnover, etc. are all important factors that affect CRA salaries. My advice is always to look at the whole picture. If you consider only the base salary without looking at the benefits, bonus structure, travel requirements, and career progression potential, it can give a skewed picture. Also, taking a look at GlassDoor or LinkedIn Salary might give you a better idea of market value.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 04, 2016, 07:11PM

85k for a CRA 1? Is that oncology? Wow- I might need to take a demotion!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 04, 2016, 03:01PM

West coast CRAs and oncology are in super high demand. Plus, salaries are a lot higher now. A lot of these post are super old, shortly after the bubble burst

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 03, 2016, 06:03PM

I have about 5 years experience as a CRC and started as a CRA I in Southern California with about $85,000. I am not sure why so many of you make much less but I guess it has all to do with location.

Author: CRA Wannabee2 Sep 07, 2016, 10:00AM

Hi CRA Wannabee,
Just curious to know how your jorney is going. You and I have similar backgrounds, I am also considering transitioning to the CRA world. I know you mentioned that you recently started a CRA job. Just curious to know what was your salary. I am currently at 55k and would like to start higher than that if possible. What is your status? I am in Texas by the way :). Any feedback will be greatly appriciated. I just want to make sure not to have high expectations. Thank you!

Follow us on Twitter!

Author: JN Jul 28, 2016, 02:23PM

I am a recruiter and would love to help you find a position with better pay . Ask for Jasmine at 919-838-7478.

Author: annoymous Apr 27, 2016, 04:30AM

I have been in this business, for now, my 17th year, started with one of the big CRO's, low salary and insane travel. I have a masters degree and been a nurse for over 30 years I now work as an independent contractor CRA. You will need to pay your dues and put up with horrible so called managers who can't even manage their own lives much less a study. The CRO's are notorious for promoting not by what you know buy by who you know. They have favorites or friends, and they get the high-level manager jobs. It can be brutal, just need to be tough and work thru it if that is what you want. I have been put in many situations traveling where the circumstances were downright dangerous, almost lost my life, CRO's don't care, just want the work done. Protect yourself and your belongings when traveling,

Author: CRA Wannabee is now a CRA Apr 26, 2016, 09:40AM

Thank you all for commenting and providing feedback, etc.

I am now a CRA. Looking back, my starting salary expectations were quite high, lol. I have learned a lot since then. My biggest obstacle has not been the PIs or site staff, the studies, or the travel. My managers are my biggest complaint about working in this industry. Other than that, I love what I do.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Feb 02, 2016, 03:16PM

recruiters will want to hear that you are open to being traveled like crazy. and with a smile.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 31, 2016, 11:07AM

CRA 1's can expect about $55k as an entry level salary. Remember- the first 3 months you're a CRA you're in training, reading SOPs and starting project training/visit sign off. For that time, you're not making the company any money- that is why salary is low.

Find your next job here

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 29, 2016, 07:00AM

Hello! I have a call with a recruiter for a CRA entry level position. any words of wisdom for the interview? I have 13 years as a CRC (oncology, behavioral, general med), certified, with a master's...

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jun 21, 2012, 01:11PM

June 20.

What is your current salary? You can ask for $70k, but I highly doubt you will get it- that's a range for experienced monitors. All entry level CRAs require a lot of training and investment from the company. An increase of greater than $20k from your current salary will likely be impossible. There are likely 100's of applicants with the same background as you. Don't let an unrealistic salary expectation take you out of the game early.

Author: CRA Jun 20, 2012, 11:58PM

Hello-
I have 5 years of oncology clinical research coordinator experience. ICON is hiring for positions as CRAs in different areas. With my amount of research experience in oncology do you think it would be to much to negotiate a salary range for an entry level cra between 65-70?

Author: CRA Jun 20, 2012, 08:18PM

Hello-
I have 5 years of oncology clinical research coordinator experience. ICON is hiring for positions as CRAs in different areas. With my amount of research experience in oncology do you think it would be to much to negotiate a salary range for an entry level cra between 65-70?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader May 21, 2012, 01:21PM

Hello all, pls whats the best way to prepare for an entry level CRA position interview? whats the hardest questions to prepare for and how can one prepare to ensure a very good chance of getting in, any links or suggestions would be apreciated, thanks

Get daily updates!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader May 04, 2012, 08:17PM

I will agree that starting wages are a little higher than what they were a few years back. Mid 50's is what I have seen lately, truth be told, there are a lot of company's hiring right now advertised as CRA I but looking for 2-3 years of monitoring experience. A few years back some companies were hiring CRA's as long as they could breath and were willing to travel. Now times are changing, they are needing more people because A) the industry is getting tougher and more competitive, the FDA and Sponsors are being more demanding therefore causing them to demand perfection from the CRO's and the CRO's are getting bigger, smarter and greedier and B) CRAs, mainly Seniors are putting their foot down and saying NO, I will not travel 100% anymore or even 60%, dont get me wrong, all very well deserved and earned but people are just not willing to kill themselves anymore for 100K especially when there is another company that is calling them on a weekly basis about exciting new opportunities they want to talk to them about. I have noticed a great influx of new hires coming in since January of this year (like 50-70 new CRAs a month), it could be that companies are realizing that they can pay two entry levels with the salary of a senior (but fail to realize that they are getting half the quality in twice the time, travel, and indirect cost) or it could be that there is just a need for all these new people.
With recent CRO's almost doubling in size overnight like INC purchasing Kendle, or Covance growing like crazy with Quintiles following right along, companies like PPD who are industry leaders (obviously, not in employee retention) will soon, if they havent already begin to feel a little pressure from these rising competitors. Right now they are #1 in the Phase I world, but in my opinion thats because everyone was going after the big bucks in Phase 2-4. Now some of the other big boys are tapping into the phase I world dabbing a little here and a little there finding out that 30-50 million in gross revenue is nothing to sneeze at, besides they can wash out any losses with profits from the other side while they learn the business and figured out how to start keeping more Phase I cash in their pockets.
In my opinion, because of all this, companies are being a little stricter on entry level criteria. My thoughts are that in about ten years the leaders in this industry will be those that truly care about their employees, customers, and the underlying cause why most of us passionately work in this industry and not just because with every IND there is 8 to 800 million dollars to try to get a piece of. But then again, who am I just another anonymous poster that has been reading these threads for a very long time but has never responded until today (sorry for unloading so much).To answer your question, at Entry Level all your education will get you an interview and maybe a little higher than normal salaryyou will still have to pay your dues with all the travel before you can start calling your shots, your education will impact your pay very nicely after you have been in the industry for about three years (the weeding out period) If you make past that you will be set for your career life.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 13, 2012, 04:29PM

April 12th, it won't be an easy road, but it's possible. You may find you will apply several times and you may need to make an out of state move (that was what I had to do). It took me about 8 months of searching before I got called up for my first interview. As for salary, the only place I've ever heard of a CRA 1 with no experience getting above 60k was just on anonymous Internet forum. My company's pay scale maxes out for CRA 1's at 60k and no one ever gets hired at the very top of their salary grade.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 12, 2012, 03:49PM

i am a crc with 3 years experience in one therapeutic area and 1 year experience as an academic study coordinator. i hold a Bsc in biology. what are the chances that a CRO will hire me and what could I expect starting salary to be? It seems to vary as I read the thread. Are CRAs earning > 60k a year at entry level expected to have a higher degree??

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 09, 2012, 10:40AM

Hey April 7th,

At this time, all the major CROs are hiring experienced clinical researchers for entry level CRA roles. I've met about 8 new CRAs that were former coordinators and a few former admin people who've gotten entry level CRA jobs. Just apply at all the big CROs and see who is willing to give you that first chance as a CRA

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 07, 2012, 07:27PM

Hi all.
Does anyone know of any companys that are hiring for entry level CRAs at this time. If anyone can give me any information that will be good.

Follow us on Twitter!

Author: pvp1021 Apr 07, 2012, 08:59AM

Hi,

We would love to hear some of your road stories and monitoring experiences!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 06, 2012, 03:31PM

It would be great to hear. I would especially be interested hear how many protocols and sites you end up with along with the geographic region. Also, what CRO did you end up with?

Author: CRA wanabe too Jun 27, 2012, 08:11AM

I really want to know how to get my foot in the door. I'm from academic (research) background, absolutely no experience. Should I try to get a CRC job first or internship?

Author: CRA Wannabee Is Now a CRA Apr 06, 2012, 09:55AM

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I recently accepted a CRA I position with a CRO. If anyone is interested, I can keep you posted on my initial journey into the world of "road warrior".

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Mar 28, 2012, 08:16PM

Yes, that's what you are looking for

Show next 16 posts >>

Reply to this Message

Subject:

Your message will be moderated before it is displayed.

Standard Allowed HTML: P, BR, B, I, EM, STRONG, TT, BLOCKQUOTE, UL, OL, LI, DL, DD, DT, CODE.
Restrictions: No parameters other than TYPE for BLOCKQUOTE and OL, and HREF for A.
Commercial messages and spamming will not be tolerated.

Moderator's Policy: Forums are moderated according to the moderator's whim. There is no "Policy". S/he can reject or accept your post without explanation, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.
Disclaimer: Statements published within these forums are the sole opinions of the original authors. MedZilla Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for the truthfulness or accuracy of anything contained herein.
You are being watched. Your IP address has been logged. We generally know who you are. There's no anonymity, so be careful what you say.

Terms of Use and Privacy | Post Jobs | Find Resumes | Articles | Forums | Contact Us | Edit Resume | Home

© Copyright 1994-2019, MedZilla, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Medzilla® is a Registered Trademark owned by Medzilla Inc.
All custom graphics, icons, logos and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of MedZilla Inc.
All other trademarks, service marks, and graphics are the property of their respective owners and are used with permission. Updated daily.