Follow MedZilla on Twitter

Clinical Research Careers
Looking for a great job in 
Forum List | Go to Top | New Topic | Search View Oldest First
Contract.1099.Independent CRA
Author:  Going Independent in TX
Date:  08-05-11 04:13pm
Reply to this Post

I am an RN with 10+ years as a CRA with big pharma. Looking to go independent as no recruiter company can match my salary and benefits (health, dental, company car). I'm wondering how the contract job market is out there these days. How long are the contracts? What is the going rate? Is door to door travel still reimbursed? How extensive is the travel (how many nights away per week)? Thanks for any insight!

Find your next job here

Author: cdrlwmuigmail.com Jan 06, 2019, 06:28AM

?   Log In to Report Post

"iouf, punto fermo della Foppa┬źDaremo ancora molto insieme┬╗Approdata a Bergamo due stagioni fa, si era subito fatta notare."
? http://www.agapehealthconsulting.com/detail.aspx?UID=36783&cname=?20%20

Author: Adam Aug 31, 2016, 05:40PM

Re: Contract.1099.Independent CRA   Log In to Report Post

I am sorry but what is the average hourly rates for oncology CRAs with 4-5 years of monitoring experience?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 26, 2016, 06:16PM

Do you charge overtime as a contractor?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 25, 2016, 07:44PM

No overtime as a contractor. Consider yourself like an attorney billing by the hour for all aspects of the job from travel to site visits to project management, report writing, site communication, etc. Your know what a CRA does - it's a long list.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jan 22, 2016, 08:28PM

Do you charge overtime as a contractor?

Follow us on Twitter!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 01, 2015, 08:16PM

I've never been a contract CRA, however as a CTL at a CRO I've managed them for years. We use contractors short term for big global database locks, large scale study roll-offs, etc.
From what I've seen, it's a difficult gig, & only for those who value independence above all else. For me, the biggest negative is that all the development opportunities that are available to head-count CRAs are usually off the table for contractors. If you're making the switch to independent as a late career move, it might not make a difference, however if your only exposure to clinical research is monitoring, I wouldn't recommend it. If you ever decide you don't like traveling/monitoring, you won't have anything to fall back on. To clarify this point further, the more successful contractors I know offer monitoring as just one of their services, in addition to pre-clinical tech writing, NDA submission, training, sponsor audits, CMC, process validation, writing stability testing protocols... Once you have all this stuff on your resume, then contracting will probably be a better fit.
Good luck!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 31, 2015, 07:54AM

Contractng is the best thing I ever did. Incororated fifteen years ago and never looked back. The key is getting a great accountant to keep you timely with your taxes and assisting you in setting up 401k/pension plans. I have NEVER been out of work (even during the 2008 recession). I utlilize alot of recruiters. I rarely contract directly. Some cra's do not use recruiters as they don't make as much but if it keeps you employed I say go for it. If you work oncology the rate tends to be higher. If you want to get into contracting because you think its more $$$ think again...at the end of the day your company will salary you less than what you would if you were working directly for someone but there are other benefits for the long term (pension plans, writing off your car/cell phone) that can make it worth it. Like any business you need to treat it like a business...not your personal piggy bank.

Author: 25 year veteran Oct 30, 2015, 06:48AM

Like anything, contracting has its pros and cons. Unless you have been in the industry for 5+ years and have established your own contacts, it will be difficult to find work without going through another company and sub-contracting. The pay rate is much lower if you go this route but they have the contacts and work. As a CRA, you will need to spread yourself thin as you overlap contracts in order to make the annual income of $200k. There are after all a finite number of hours a week/a month that you can work and the travel can be brutal. The other consideration is tracking your income for tax purposes and filing quarterly estimated income tax to the IRS and your local state and county. As an individual, you will pay a higher tax rate as a contractor, and of course if you don't have access to a spouse's medical insurance, you will need to pay for that. As an employee, you pay a portion of the social security and medicare taxes. When self employed, you pay 100% of these taxes. Depending, on your personal situation and where you live, the total tax burden can be 40% of more of your gross. Health insurance is also very expensive. At 56, I pay $540 a month for a 80/20 policy with an out of pocket deductible of $5500. This means that I must spend $5500 of my own money before the insurance company kicks in. With the Affordable Care Act, you must have insurance or you will be penalized with a fee when you file your income taxes. There is much to consider before you take the leap. After working my way up through the industry from CRA to VP of Clinical Operations, I have made that leap but still find it challenging to stay employed 100% of the time. You must have the ability to manage your time and finances effectively while you also perform the work. Taking any time off equates to be out of work so you tend not to take much vacation.
It all comes down to whether or not you can afford to work independently and take on the risk and challenges of running your own business. For some it is worth it.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 01, 2014, 01:12PM

Any more recent news about contracting? I have almost 20 yrs in the business, mostly CRO. I'm sick of it and want to go independent. Better to be 1099 or W-2? Any industry updates? This post is old

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Mar 07, 2012, 04:54PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to land direct contracts without the "middle-man" ?

FREE list of headhunters in good MedZilla standing

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 29, 2011, 06:24AM

How do you go about getting a contract position-recruiters? I would be interested in seeking contract work-getting frustrated with my current CRO and not thrilled about to "locking-in" to another CRO position right now.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 18, 2011, 10:01PM

Can someone please tell me how I need to do to start off at an Entry Level CRA position? I'm trying to get experience so that I can do contracting work and be my own boss. I'm a single man with no children and I'm willing to do what ever it takes to make this dream reality.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 07, 2011, 05:06PM

How do you find a contract company? Do you have to give references for every job you take? I'm curious about this, because I wouldn't want to keep bothering my references over and over.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 20, 2011, 07:53PM

It depends a lot on your style of work, adaptability and energy. If you are organized, able to work 60H/week and give high quality, then I can'ty see making less then 70$/hr. I am contracting since 2007 and I never missed work. I have a lot to work, so that I can't afford more than 2 weeks holiday per year. In 2009-2010, when the economy was in financial crisis and people didn't have work I had to refuse 3 contracts as I didn't have physical time to work. I feel that contracting goes better and better. Now I am in discussions with 3 companies for a new contract and I am working now 1.5 FTE in contracts. All depend on you.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 20, 2011, 07:36AM

Maybe I'm just completely lucky but I do not find the contract world to have lost any steam whatsoever. I cannot believe that any company would pay a contractor $45/hr, moreover I cannot believe that any contractor would actually accept anything less than $60/hr. I personally will NEVER work for a CRO again, contract or perm. Anybody who does knows exactly why I say this...I have 5 years monitoring experience and have had a hard time getting more than $65/hr so far so I've always carried at least 2 other part-time contracts to make up for the difference. If companies don't want to pay fairly than they will need to accept that contractors will always work multiple jobs. I made $212K last year, $201K in 2009, and $187K in 2008, not bad for a 31 year old with a bachelors degree.....its all about being organized and hustling!

Good luck everybody!

What are others saying about MedZilla?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 19, 2011, 08:14AM

I have found that the contracts have picked up, especially in the Midwest. Texas can be considered the Midwest by some companies. My average hourly rate has been about $75/hour. I have not yet had to take a contract where they want to pay "half-time" for travel. Depending on how busy you want to be, you can reach upward of $200,000 as a contractor. However, your health insurance if you have to buy it will cost you around $20,000/year with dependents.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 10, 2011, 04:50PM

For those in "big pharma" - how are positions in-house (ex: local trial leader)? Should FTE CRAs at risk of being outsourced consider in-house positions to keep tenure with big pharma? Are other big pharma companies hiring in-house project managers/local trial leaders? If so, is the pay comparable to regional CRAs?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 10, 2011, 10:02AM

Hello. My suggestion is to stay where you are, while you still have a position in big pharma. I was recently severed from big pharma after 20+ years. Most of the jobs out there are with CROs, as more and more clinical operations jobs are being outsourced. Unfortunately, the pay at CROs is 25-35% less, and that's for highly experienced clinical operations background. Higher level CRO positions are going to candidates with CRO experience.

Independent CRAs have it rough these days, as many vendors/companies are no longer paying top dollar, but rather paying very low rates (e.g. $45/hr).

It's a real shame the direction the industry is taking.

So my advise is to stay as long as you can, and if you can reach retirement...all the better.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 10, 2011, 09:10AM

The contracts are fewer now and with less pay; some companies are trying to pay only a per diem for visits, which includes travel time, and its a lot less than being paid hourly. Also the hourly pay is less now in a contract because so many contractors are looking for work. I understand that now many companies, even monitor for hire, is now limiting travel time to 5 hours or less per visit. That's a lot to lose when it takes you 8 or more hours to get there one way. I was a 1099 contractor, and I'm now a fulltime CTM because the contracting world was not as lucrative as it used to be.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 08, 2011, 04:45PM

If you figure out a career change, let us know too ;)

Follow us on Twitter!

Author: Going Independent in TX Aug 07, 2011, 04:55AM

No, not laid off yet but there's always talk of cutbacks. I figured I should be prepared. I honestly haven't looked at the job market in several years. I don't want to go from big pharma to CRO. Contemplating a career change - I'd welcome any advice.....

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 06, 2011, 05:44PM

did you get laid off?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 06, 2011, 09:54AM

It will be interesting to see if the Contract world has some life again...

Reply to this Message

Subject:

Your message will be moderated before it is displayed.

Standard Allowed HTML: P, BR, B, I, EM, STRONG, TT, BLOCKQUOTE, UL, OL, LI, DL, DD, DT, CODE.
Restrictions: No parameters other than TYPE for BLOCKQUOTE and OL, and HREF for A.
Commercial messages and spamming will not be tolerated.

Moderator's Policy: Forums are moderated according to the moderator's whim. There is no "Policy". S/he can reject or accept your post without explanation, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.
Disclaimer: Statements published within these forums are the sole opinions of the original authors. MedZilla Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for the truthfulness or accuracy of anything contained herein.
You are being watched. Your IP address has been logged. We generally know who you are. There's no anonymity, so be careful what you say.

Terms of Use and Privacy | Post Jobs | Find Resumes | Articles | Forums | Contact Us | Edit Resume | Home

© Copyright 1994-2019, MedZilla, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Medzilla® is a Registered Trademark owned by Medzilla Inc.
All custom graphics, icons, logos and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of MedZilla Inc.
All other trademarks, service marks, and graphics are the property of their respective owners and are used with permission. Updated daily.