Follow MedZilla on Twitter

Clinical Research Careers
Looking for a great job in 
Forum List | Go to Top | New Topic | Search View Oldest First
entry level CRA advise
Author:  Always A CRC never a CRA..
Date:  10-16-07 07:45pm
Reply to this Post

OK here's my question...I'm a CRC with 5 years of CRC experience dealing with regulatory prep, CRF design, reviewing budgets, pt recruitment, protocol development etc. BUT...no CRA experience. I've been looking off and on this past year for CRA position..I'm willing to relocate ( I'm presently in CANADA so entry levels CRA postions seem scarce). Any advise on what else I can do to get tht extra edge to compensate for my lack of monitoing expeerince??? If tired CROs but no luck. Tried networking with my monitors but the bid pharma have a hiring freeze going on. ( so I've been told). Any suggestions would be appreciated

Show next 6 posts >>

Subscribe to MedZilla's Newsfeed

Author: Senior CRA Aug 07, 2017, 04:06PM

Re: CRACRC advise   Log In to Report Post

Please rethink becoming a CRA. My experience is that CRAs are not treated well by CROs. You would be better off in an academic clinical environment working as a project manager.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Aug 03, 2017, 07:30AM

CRACRC advise   Log In to Report Post

I am a Scientist, completed Ph.D and worked in biotech sector for 9 years. Now, I am interested in doing CRA/CRC. Any suggestions on the course and institutions offer? Thanks

Author: RC Apr 15, 2009, 02:24PM

Re: entry level CRA advise   Log In to Report Post

I was a CRC for two years before I got a shot at a CRA position. Like many seeking "entry level" positions, I had a hard time especially since I didn't want to move.
For me I became friends with one of my monitors (contractor). She knew I was looking and the company who's study we were working on was hiring fulltime CRAs and would considering entry level positions. I forwarded my CV to her, she passed it on. Week later I had a phone interview, then they flew me out for two face to face interviews and I got the job.
I now work as a fulltime CRA for Boehringer Ingelheim, and I absolutely love working for them!
Sadly, it's often not what you know, but who you know.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Feb 05, 2009, 07:21AM

Thanks for your comment. I have actually completed the training in Clinical Research for a CRC or CRA position and now I am working as a Clinical Data Monitor for a Clinical Research Data Management Company. I would like to gain some experience as a CRC. Sorry, I had mentioned in my previous message that I needed training but actually I need the experience.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Feb 04, 2009, 11:16AM

This is really not the time to be trying to break into this field. GSK is laying off 10,000 employees, and Pfizer just cut several of its largest research programs. As experienced CRAs hit the pavement, there will be less need for entry-level CRAs...

Post Jobs - get great candidates!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Feb 04, 2009, 09:49AM

Where could I get a list of non CRO companies which will provide training for CRC or CRA positions

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jul 22, 2008, 12:06PM

Please look up the difference between advise and advice. Now, for the posts:
"is it true that cro are no longer hiring for entry level cra as of now?" No, CROs will always need entry-level CRAs, so keep trying. PPD is known as having the best training. However, you will have to try multiple times to get in the door with them, and it may require relocation. Their biggest office is in Austin, Texas.
Regarding GCP and FDA regulations, pick up a book on these topics. They are available from any major bookseller and will probably be easy to find with a brief internet search, and the cost will be anywhere from $15 to several books for under $100; read them, it will be a great investment.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jul 08, 2008, 02:17PM

is it true that cro are no longer hiring for entry level cra as of now?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jun 27, 2008, 11:15AM

Have your wife get you into her company as a CRA I - or try CROs.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jun 26, 2008, 03:39PM

I sure hope Barnett can help you find a job afterward. It's still not that easy to secure a CRA position with just the studies, they want real-time experience. Get into a company that pays for your training and learn from the bottom up as a CRA assistant.

Fill that difficult position NOW

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jun 27, 2008, 12:33PM

Althoug Barnett has a good reputation and you will be able to learn a lot, it is not necessary to spend money to make money. Simply keep banging on doors until a compnay is willing to to hire you as an entry-level CRA. PPD is a great start in your area- although it may take several attempts to sell yourself;be persistent and ask for a face-to-face interview.Many of us already in the industry forget what it was like when we all first started...many of us were in the same position you are now....with even LESS experience and background like you have. Polish your resume and ask others to review it and give feedback. And above all, don't give up- there are no secrets to being a good monitor; just be willing to work hard. Good Luck!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Jun 27, 2008, 04:48AM

Dear Gregg:
I completed the Barnett Class at Villanova in 2002. The fee was about 2800 so consider your self lucky your getting a great class at a discount price.
I found the class valuable but I have truly have only found contract regulatory jobs I still have not been able to obtain a monitoring position after taking the class because I'm locked into reg roles.

I have maintained my relationship with my class mates and we still help each other net work to find jobs. Bear in mind your networking relationships are valuable.

Barnett does not offer job placement for students. None of my classmates recieved any job assistance. We did have job fair the night of our last class but only 1 student was hired and she had a PhD.

Your have to be ambitious and find your own jobs. I would think your wife who is a CRA can give you some great tips how to get a cra job. Please be mindful this is a recession and you starting range will be about 50K. Be persistant and you will find a job!! :o) I've been in the industry for about 10 years and I'm being asked to take CTA and CRA assist roles at 18 -25.00. So my best advise, be persistant and fight for fair wages and you'll land a job this Sept.

Author: Gregg Burdulis Jun 26, 2008, 05:24AM

I am caught in the lack of experience Catch 22, and wanted to know if anyone thinks my approach is good.

I just got a Masters in Biology and my wife has been a CRA for ten years, but despite the education and the "virtual experience" (via my wife), I lack the formal experience needed so I enrolled in the online Barnett course CRA & CRC Beginner Program", which will end on August 27.

Will taking the course make me marketable as a CRA? It cost $1795, which is a sacrifice for me, but I am hoping that it will pay off in the long run. I really cannot afford to take a low-paying job as a CR assistant or study coordinator as preparation for a CRA job. Thanks!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Apr 05, 2008, 06:42AM

I am completing a Masters in Nursing program with a major in Clinical Research Management. I have limited CRA experience (3 months CRA Internship done at a large pharma). I also have 8 years of nursing experience but worked as an RN over 15 years ago.
I need advise on how to break into the field! What CRO's do you recommend and should I just call them?

Author: CRA-Zee Dec 06, 2007, 08:39AM

iconclinical.com is the site for all of ICON. They are based in the US with offices in Canada. Nothing a google search shouldn't have pulled up.

Good luck with that...

MedZilla -- get the inside story

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Dec 03, 2007, 06:51PM

What is the website for Icon canada? All I see is Icon health and fitness..

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 30, 2007, 11:18AM

You should try Medpace based out of Cincinnati.

Author: CRA-Zee Nov 28, 2007, 10:29AM

Best reference I recommend to anybody

"Good Clinical Practice: A Question and Answer Reference Guide 2007"

Available from Barnett although you might find it elsewhere on the internet at a lower price like a used book place. It has practical answers to some of the dicier questions people may come across in their clinical research experience (some but not all)--very very valuable to have around.

And no, I do not work for Barnett or Paraxel---I got the book at an intermedial Barnett course I took a few years ago. The remainder are drug reference and medical dictionaries.

Anybody with a PDA should have Epocrates on their PDA. It's free.

Author: RA II Nov 27, 2007, 11:13AM

What supplemental reading and training can one get to help learn the fundmentals of being a CRA?

Author: CRA-Zee Nov 25, 2007, 03:31PM

Yes and unfortunately they don't bother to adequately train any of them. ICON is hemorrhaging CRAs badly these days and those 'experienced' CRAs who I have worked with from ICON were *all* lacking in functional/basic CRA training. I wouldn't recommend them to a CRA with no experience who wants good solid training. If you choose ICON, be prepared to supplement your training with plenty of outside reading/coursework because once you move to a company whose CRAs actually do know what they are doing, you'll be in for a major shock.

MedZilla -- get the inside story

Author: Moritz Nov 25, 2007, 12:07PM

I know ICON is growing very fast and recruits lots of people, including those without ANY experience.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 20, 2007, 12:48PM

Integrated Neuroscience Consortium, a CNS focused site management organization from their history (1998).

Author: 4:37 PM Nov 20, 2007, 04:26AM

It's INC Research. You can learn more about them from their website, www.incresearch.com.

Good Luck!

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 19, 2007, 08:58PM

I'm not sure what INC in particular stands for but it is a CRO.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 19, 2007, 11:12AM

Excuse my ingorance, but what does INC stand for? I am also looking for an entry level CRA position. Thanks!

What are others saying about MedZilla?

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 18, 2007, 04:31PM

Hi all,

I know Icon Canada is activly looking for CRA's.

Author: INC CRA Nov 15, 2007, 04:37PM

I started with INC as an entry-level CRA in July. I had 4 years of CRC experience previously. INC has an office in Canada I believe and several all over the U.S. They also hire some CRA I's to work from home immediately so you may want to look into them.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 03, 2007, 11:48AM

I think, and I might be wrong, that PPD requires you to move to one of their offices to do the training. Both PRA, PPD, and Quintiles do Oncology studies and have a solid oncology background so I think you'd be fine in going with any one of them.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Nov 01, 2007, 05:51PM

i have been contacted by quintiles, pra and ppd for CRA I position. I want to stay in Oncology, Im guessing PRA International is the better CRO to go with? I know both PRA and PPD have training. I have three years of CRC experience and CRO contacting have not been a problem, get your resume out there on all the websites, monster.com. careerbuilder.com and etc.

Can you help me choose what CRO company to go with if oncology is my expertise. I definitely prefer a Pham company like GSK or Genentech, but those are hard to get without CRA experience, so Im trying to get my way up.

Author: Anonymous Medzilla Reader Oct 20, 2007, 09:40PM

Many CRO's will hire entry level CRA's and put them through a training program. In the US, I know that Quintiles, PRA, and PPD all have programs. I know for sure that PRA does hire Canadians and they have an office in Victoria, BC.

Show next 6 posts >>

Reply to this Message

Subject:

Your message will be moderated before it is displayed.

Standard Allowed HTML: P, BR, B, I, EM, STRONG, TT, BLOCKQUOTE, UL, OL, LI, DL, DD, DT, CODE.
Restrictions: No parameters other than TYPE for BLOCKQUOTE and OL, and HREF for A.
Commercial messages and spamming will not be tolerated.

Moderator's Policy: Forums are moderated according to the moderator's whim. There is no "Policy". S/he can reject or accept your post without explanation, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.
Disclaimer: Statements published within these forums are the sole opinions of the original authors. MedZilla Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for the truthfulness or accuracy of anything contained herein.
You are being watched. Your IP address has been logged. We generally know who you are. There's no anonymity, so be careful what you say.

Terms of Use and Privacy | Post Jobs | Find Resumes | Articles | Forums | Contact Us | Edit Resume | Home

© Copyright 1994-2019, MedZilla, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Medzilla® is a Registered Trademark owned by Medzilla Inc.
All custom graphics, icons, logos and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of MedZilla Inc.
All other trademarks, service marks, and graphics are the property of their respective owners and are used with permission. Updated daily.